Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Rolls Backward when in park!! :O

18682 10
hey guys, well ujoint is fixed, drove it, drives perfect...thanx for the help

new problem lol:

OK i parked on my neighbours snow covered driveway .. .and put it in park while i helped my dad get my sisters shadow started...newayz, i look over while workin on the shadow and my jeep is inchin down the driveway, there was a thin coat of ice undnereath the snow but get this, the wheels were turning backward, like it was in neutral.....

almost like it wasnt fully in park....soo i go over, hit the brakes and it stops, i pushed my sisters shadow into the garage with the ZJ and put it in park, not rolling anymore, i can push with all my might and it doesnt roll at all...

i read about a possible recal for the shifter not fully engaging in the gear selected....well if thats whats wrong with my jeep then i can deal with it, it sits on level surfaces 99.9% of the time, the tranny shifts perfect , i mean ...PERFECT!!!...soo i dont think its tranny trouble , plus i had that recal notice with the jeep when i got it but didnt think much of it...soo yea...i dont know where it is now, possibley thrown out ..i dunno

is this recall real and if soo should i be worried sensing my jeep sits on level surfaces 99.9% of the time..

anybody who knows anything about this voice in , thanx guys
weirdest problem i have had with a car yet !!...

thanx in advance
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Get yourself a buildsheet buddy.. if there's any recalls not performed then it will tell you on the sheet... heres your link! :thumbsup: http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universal/J/index.jsp?appStr=wccs&titleStr=Contact+Jeep&familyStr=brand&franchise=J&actionURL=%2Fwccs%2Fbrand_forms%2Fus%2Fwebform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U

Chrysler Has an issue with vehicles Jumping out of gear.... My uncles brand New Ram 3500 Diesel jumped out of park and ran through a gazeebo, almost into the River.. :rantscream:

Secondary Detent Saftey is probably the recall you need.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
That recall affected my old '94 ZJ. Dang thing nearly rolled into a pond once, I took that recall up shortly after. Fixed it.

And there's nothing like a free fix. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update: called the chrysler dealership my dad works at, and they took my vin number, none of the recalls have been done

apparently there is 4

1. shifter detent
2. brake rotars
3. something in the brake pedal
4. seat belts

right now im only getting the first 2 done.... i read about the brake pedal recall, you have to push the brake to start the truck..i like reaching in my window and starting it . and the seatbelts have already been changed from the dealership, my truck apparently came with grey seat belts, even though i have tan leather, they were changed last year with tan replacment units.

but yea the shifter problem is being fixed tommorow , FREE of charge :D :D
and bonus for me , i get new brake rotars :2thumbsup:

just wanted to let you guys know, all is well and it will be fixed free

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The secondary detent recall will not fix issues with misadjusted parking pawls or failing transmissions.

Heck, it won't fix any issues except by pure chance, as the only thing is does is add hardware intended to force you to push through the dead zone between P and R (which is apparently an epidemic problem among soccer moms).

If you're actually locking the vehicle in park, and it's rolling, having the recall done won't change anything unless the dealer happens to adjust the parking pawl while they've got it. All the recall addresses is the fact that, with a little finesse and a lot of carelessness, you can leave the gearshift between P and R and not be in either gear.

You need a mechanic, not a recall. Depending on your insurance, you may also want a recall to guarantee coverage, but it alone won't fix your problem.

Also, unless the recall's different in Canada, the shift interlock recall only prevents you from putting the truck in gear without your foot on the brake, not starting it. It's another pointless "safety recall" forced by people who have no business driving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
here's an easy solution,

the emergency brake anyone?

I mean the concept is, that say your park Jeep is hit but some knucklehead and said gear pawl breaks, the rear brakes will still be engaged thus preventing your Jeep from rolling away into whatever obstacle.

[of course if you dont maintain your rear brakes they eventually wind up rusting shut everytime park it after driving in the rain.)

·
Registered
555 Posts
What was your transfer case in?

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I don't think it would have been precariously left in Neutral, seeing as he had just driven it... :rofl:

But I could be wrong...?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
this has nothing to do with jeeps, but my girlfriend drives an 01 lincoln ls. the other night we got back to her house, she was driving, and she stopped the car, and tried to get out to open the garage door. only problem was she didnt put it in park. she didnt even move the shifter, it was still in drive. she was sitting there next to me messing with her cell phone, all the while the car is rolling backwards down the drive. i yell at her telling her the damn car is rolling and to put it in park. she gets mad, then realizes she didnt put it in park and slams the shifter into P without applying the brakes or anything. i feel sorry for that car.:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.