21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Price $0.01
Pros
Cons
Recommended yes

Comments: Stock, and freaking noisy Stock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisyStock, and freaking noisy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Price $1
Pros stock manual transmission
Cons stock manual trnasmission
Recommended yes

Comments: I'm not really sure why it is necessary for me to rate something that comes stock on the vehicle... esp. when I have nothing to compare it to. AllI can say is I have an 04 TJ with this tranny and so far no issues.... knock knock (on wood)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Price $850
Pros Good solid box
Cons A little noisy at idle
Recommended yes

Comments: After burning up a 42RLE I opted for something I could overhaul if needed. Good gearing and solid shifter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Price $800
Pros Stronger
Cons NONE
Recommended yes

Comments: Great for upgrade from ax5 or ax15!. I would recommend to everyone who is in the budget. This is great budget upgrade transmission.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Price $1
Pros Smooth 5 spd, reliable, stock, good gear ratios with an intuitive balance through speed/powerband
Cons sometimes noisy, likes expensive fluid only,
Recommended yes

Comments: Best 5spd used in Jeeps. It likes Royal Purple fluid almost exclusively and will shift stiff, run louder, and generally be an ******* to you if neglected. Generally speaking, the powerband/gear ratio layout of this tranny is excellent. Good for wheeling and the 1st gear is actually sync'd as long as you are downshifting from 2nd. 3rd gear is a longer pull and drops RPM's by 1000 instead of the 8-900 of the other lower gears. This is good for cruising around town.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Price $1160
Rating 3
Pros Gets you from A to B
Cons Built like crap. Bangs gears, synchros suck.
Recommended no

Comments: Not a good design. New Venture, the company who makes these tranny's, is out of business. Obviously all of the people who post reviews are posting their opinions, and that's fine... But, I have driven many Jeeps with this tranny, and just installed my second on my 02 TJ, and am less than thrilled. Can already feel very small "bangs" when shifting from first to second. Reverse has no synchros, so if you are moving forward at all, get ready for a nice loud grinding noise. I'm talking less than 1mph in your driveway movement. It's not operator error, its a bad design. The first one lasted me 147,000 miles, and was still functional besides some synchro issues, so I guess I can't be too upset... It could have lasted much longer, but I was sick of driving it a certain way just so I wouldn't hear the grinding when downshifting into second or first, or upshifting from first to second. Google 'NV3550' before you buy one, and you will see a million people talking about similar problems with synchros.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Price $1600
Pros Good sturdy transmission. My jeep already had one but after 147,XXX miles of what I assume to be either a bad driver or a substantial amount of abuse, it was time for a new one. It's a direct bolt on upgrade from the AX-15.
Cons Hard to find for reasonable price. It's only a five speed. Would have liked to swap for a NSG370 but you have to swap quite a few other things.
Recommended yes

Comments: My jeep already had one but after 147,XXX miles of what I assume to be either a bad driver or a substantial amount of abuse, it was time for a new one. It's a direct bolt on upgrade from the AX-15.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Comments: I have a question on this transmission. I have a 2000 Jeep TJ Sahara and it's popping out of 1st gear. But this only happens when I let off the gas in first. It will not pop out while starting off and continuing in the gas. I NEED HELP ASAP. I have 0 idea what's happening. I was told that the synchros are not the issue and I replaced the slave cylinder and trans oil. Anything can help. Please.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.