Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You could pull the relay and jump pin 30 to 87 in the junction block and see if that works. It could be a bad relay. If you tested for power across the pin 10 and pin 13 then it could also be the ground. G301 needs cleaning or a broken wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
It's pin 40 of the C2 connector. Did you try jumping 30 to 87? That bypasses the control circuit and would eliminate it as the problem. When you tested for power at the console did you test from pin 10 of the connector to a nearby ground like a seat belt bolt or to it's ground wire? Do you have power at pin 30 of the relay? The pin numbers should be marked on the relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Short Version:

1. Check fuse 1.
  2. If fuse 1 is good, check for power at fuse 1 feed in fuse block.
  3. If no power there, repair feed wire.
  4. If power there, check continuity from pin 85 of the relay socket to ground.
  5. If no continuity there, repair ground wire.
  6. If continuity there, check continuity between pin 85 and 86 of the relay itself.
  7. If no continuity there, replace relay.

Long Version:
The relay has two circuits in it. The purpose of the relay in this case is to allow you to control a high amp circuit with a low amp circuit. It accomplishes this by using a coil on the low amp circuit of the relay. When the coil is energized (positive to one side and negative to the other) in the relay, it creates a magnetic field which pulls the load circuit switch (which is connected to pin 30 on the "hinge" side) from pin 87a to pin 87. So that completes the load circuit as pin 30 is now connected directly to pin 87 which feeds your master window controls pin 10 through the yellow/pink wire. The control circuit coil is connected to pins 85 and 86.

So if you look at the diagram posted earlier of the power window relay, you can see where the load circuit pin 30 is connected to 12V. The load circuit when the control circuit isn't energized (at rest), is connected to pin 87a. Nothing is connected outside the relay to pin 87a so the load circuit stops there. So when you jump pin 30 to 87 directly, you are bypassing the control circuit needing to be energized.

So the control circuit in the relay is pin 86 and pin 85. The diagram shows the internal coil in the relay. One side (either side) must go to positive and the other side goes to negative. Barring a bad relay that isn't moving the internal load switch when the control circuit is energized, the problem lies in the positive (pin 86 in this case) or the negative (pin 85) connection. Test for power at pin 86 of the relay socket with the negative probe directly to ground (engine, chassis) with the key in the run position. If you don't have power at pin 86 then your problem lies between pin 86 and the battery. Pin 86 is fed power from fuse 1 (15A). Test if fuse 1 is good. Make sure you test it with your meter (continuity). They can sometimes look good to the eye but still be blown.

If you do have power at pin 86, then your problem lies in the pin 85 ground side. Check continuity between pin 85 in the socket and ground (again engine, chassis). If no continuity, then your ground connection was lost. Unlikely as a lot of accessories use this same ground.

You can also test the relay control circuit with your meter by checking continuity between pins 86 and 85 of the relay itself. They should have continuity across the coil.

Okay, maybe too much information but I hope it's helpful. It's good to have a basic understanding of how a relay works when troubleshooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Yes, that's what it means. So now I'm thinking, since you had power when you tested the ground with the meter, that the female pin in the junction block itself is dirty or the pins are spread too far apart to make a good contact with the relay pin 85. You could spray it with some contact cleaner and see if you can bend the female pin more closed.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You can always have power to pin 30 if it is not switched. Usually when a relay is used the control circuit handles the switching. You can always have power to pin 86 if the negative side of the control circuit is switched (needs ignition on for power). That obviously is the case here. So now we need to figure out where the negative ground wire for the control circuit is switched. Could be in the BCM. I'll see what I can find in the FSM.

Edit: The attached shows that pin 85 is attached to the Accessory Delay Relay Control. I believe that allows you to put up the windows and close the sunroof after the vehicle is shut off, but only for a set amount of time before it loses power. That is in the BCM, pin 7. You could try cleaning that. Do you have a power sunroof? You may have been testing for power within that time delay. It also shows that pins 30 and 86 always have power.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
The ground is obviously switched. Otherwise the power windows would always have power since pins 86 and 30 do. I can't imagine it being switched within the junction block itself. So I'm guessing the BCM controls it although it's not listed as one of the functions of the BCM in the FSM. :dunno: If it was a ground pin issue with the BCM, I would expect a lot of other problems besides just the power windows as many functions share the same ground. That's why I suspected pin 7 in the BCM as that is where the ground feed for the windows is fed in.

Maybe a broken ground splice within the junction block? You could test continuity from pin 85 in the junction block to pin 7 in the BCM connector for that. If that has continuity, then most likely a problem with the BCM or PCI. If no continuity then likely a problem with the junction block itself. I really don't know at this point. If all else fails, you can wire a new ground from pin 85 through a relay and have it work only with the key on.

To perform a continuity test, set you meter to ohms. Touch your two probes together and it should show zero resistance. When the probes are not touching, it should show OL for open line or a 1 depending on your meter. So put one probe on pin 86 and the other on pin 7 of the BCM connector. If it shows resistance instead of OL or 1, the junction block is okay.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
The FSM states that if you are replacing the BCM then you need to program the new one. However, I don't see anything related to just removing it except that the hard wired input and outputs can be tested normally. Of course you should disconnect the negative battery cable whenever doing electrical work. I would expect it to just reboot when you reconnect the battery but you may interpret it differently.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.