Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short my 2016 Jeep patriot with 135k miles threw a rod through the block on July 7th. Took it into the dealership and the mechanic verified it was definitely a parts failure. No signs of abuse or neglect, and it should definitely be covered.

Fast forward 29 days and multiple inspector flakeouts before it was denied because of my 4 year old uber sticker (drove for a couple weeks and decided it wasn't worth it). After arguing with 5 reps about why thats BS, I finally got one that said I could send a letter in stating how long it had been since I drove for them and they could get it approved. Sent that on Aug 5, was told it was being escalated and I'd get a call back. Never did.

Called back today and they never got my email. Sent it 3 more times while I was on the phone with the guy and he still didn't get it, so I sent it to another email he gave me and hung up because I was getting too frustrated. Lol. A bit later I get a refund check in the mail for $25..... Called to see what that was about and apparently they canceled my warranty, and the rep saw no issue with canceling my coverage effectively as of June 2017 (3 months after purchase), yet keeping damn near the entire amount of the warranty.

During those first 29 days, I had to fight with them repeatedly to get the rental coverage and trip interruption coverage acknowledged. Multiple reps argued with me saying that I didn't have that coverage before one finally admitted that I do, but its reimbursement coverage. I've been placed into the "supervisor callback queue" multiple times and never once gotten a call back. Hands down the most unprofessional company I've ever dealt with.

So I'm sitting here 48 days without my jeep, racked up $1680 ($35/day) in rental charges so far and I'm stuck thousands of miles from home because they'd rather screw someone on a technicality instead of honoring their contract (which BTW, the contract they sent me is completely different than the one I signed when I purchased it. Guess they changed it on me.)

Anyone else dealt with this and got any tips besides get an attorney (working on that)?

·
Registered
462 Posts
why in the heck did you keep an Uber sticker on your vehicle four years longer than you needed to?

This game is rigged, don't you understand that? Of course they will look for any technicality to cut you off the hook.
Aftermarket warranties are amazing profit centers for dealerships and the warranty company. Of course they will do anything they can to not pay out. Fair doesn't always work in the real world when money and profit are involved. It's their business model.

Get a lawyer and stop feeding them information they can use against you. At the moment you're working for them more than for yourself.

Contingency lawyer so you're not putting out more money in case of a loss. Get your Uber records together that has time you drove for them, records of trips, and mileage. Give that to the lawyer, who should ask for them. Do not give that to the warranty company.

If you do, and don't get a lawyer, you're exactly the customer they hoped for when you bought it.

Good luck

·
Administrator
21,352 Posts
doubt any lawyer would get involved unless there is money up front. if there is a clause stating no commercial use what are they going to argue? do over? fairness exemption? If there is some specific amount of commercial use allowed then it comes down to data.

·
Registered
462 Posts
doubt any lawyer would get involved unless there is money up front. if there is a clause stating no commercial use what are they going to argue? do over? fairness exemption? If there is some specific amount of commercial use allowed then it comes down to data.
I would agree with this. Get your contract and read it. If you don't understand legalese, find a good interpreter to help you. It's worth knowing it in and out.

You might be able to take the contract to some lawyers for consult to see if they think it's a case they can win. Most are very blunt about what your prospects will be.

Some will find that you can win, but it isn't worth their effort. That's a lot of money over a sticker...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is exactly what I'm running into. Lawyers are all wanting a chunk up front.

Left the uber sticker on because I'm lazy and didn't want to **** with scraping it off. Pretty ****ty of a company to use a ******* sticker as the basis for a claim denial.

Guess it pretty much just boils down to the fact that its a $14,000 claim and they're gonna do everything they can to get out of paying it. Still haven't gotten a call back, either. This would be the FOURTH TIME that I've been placed in a supervisor callback queue and not received a call.

Pretty ****in sad when even the jeep cares phone reps say the only way I'm gonna get anything done on this claim is to sue mopar.

Also, the **** is with chryslers "customer score" that determines how helpful the reps can be? When I called corporate and wound up talking to the jeep cares rep, they explained that my score wasn't high enough for them to be able to help. If it was higher they could help no problem, but I guess I'm not loyal enough yet (and never will be. I'll go drop my $60k on a Ford instead of the gladiator I was going to buy.) Literally all they could do was give me the same mopar warranty number I've been calling.

Its pathetic, really. Hands down the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. Worst part? I owe 5600 on the jeep still, and $4000 of that is the cost of the warranty, which I never got a single use out of.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So get this. I just called again. You know how I keep getting put into the supervisor callback queue? Well apparently the dealership never filed an appeal, so instead of calling me and telling me that, the supervisor has been ignoring me instead. This **** is bordering on bad faith. Worst. Company. Ever.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
I've got Lifetime Maxcare on both Cherokees and haven't had any issues getting warranty work done.
The TH hasn't had any issues, my wife's Lat+ had rear axle replaced. Somehow they screwed up the
rear diff when they replaced it! It too was covered under warranty. The other time it was in, it was
because it would stutter in 4 gear. They had it for a week, and couldn't reproduce the problem.
For kicks I did a throttle relearn on it, and fixed it! It has shifted fine ever since. LOL Everytime
they've had our Jeeps we always get a loaner to boot! Even when they had my Trailhawk in to
install the wire harness for the tow package, they still gave me a loaner.

I would not cash that check, and would argue that the original contract you signed is the only

contract that is valid. You do still have the contract correct? If there's nothing it about any

commercial use, they have to honor it.

Note to self, never drive for Uber...

·
Registered
462 Posts
So get this. I just called again. You know how I keep getting put into the supervisor callback queue? Well apparently the dealership never filed an appeal, so instead of calling me and telling me that, the supervisor has been ignoring me instead. This **** is bordering on bad faith. Worst. Company. Ever.
That sounds more like a dealership problem than a Mopar problem. Does the dealership have to file the appeal to get things moving? From what you said, that seems to be the case.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got Lifetime Maxcare on both Cherokees and haven't had any issues getting warranty work done.
The TH hasn't had any issues, my wife's Lat+ had rear axle replaced. Somehow they screwed up the
rear diff when they replaced it! It too was covered under warranty. The other time it was in, it was
because it would stutter in 4 gear. They had it for a week, and couldn't reproduce the problem.
For kicks I did a throttle relearn on it, and fixed it! It has shifted fine ever since. LOL Everytime
they've had our Jeeps we always get a loaner to boot! Even when they had my Trailhawk in to
install the wire harness for the tow package, they still gave me a loaner.

I would not cash that check, and would argue that the original contract you signed is the only

contract that is valid. You do still have the contract correct? If there's nothing it about any

commercial use, they have to honor it.

Note to self, never drive for Uber...
Well, this is a $14,000 repair too. Per the contract, they'd have to pay me the vehicles value at this point, which is like $13,000 ish.

I do have the original contract and they have zero interest in seeing it. I asked them to produce a copy of their contract with my signature on it and they refused. Just all around ****ty customer service.

That sounds more like a dealership problem than a Mopar problem. Does the dealership have to file the appeal to get things moving? From what you said, that seems to be the case.
Yes, the dealership had to file an appeal. My issue there is the fact that I've been calling mopar pretty consistently since it was denied, and they've told me every time that it was being escalated and I'd get a call back. Not a single rep up to that point had said ANYTHING about the dealership having to appeal. They're so disorganized that you can call 5 times, talk to 5 different reps, and get 5 different answers to your question. Its awful.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
Well, this is a $14,000 repair too. Per the contract, they'd have to pay me the vehicles value at this point, which is like $13,000 ish.

I do have the original contract and they have zero interest in seeing it. I asked them to produce a copy of their contract with my signature on it and they refused. Just all around ****ty customer service.
Is there anything in the original contract about commercial use?
If not, they have to honor it. You don't even need a lawyer, it's
a signed contract you have when you purchased the Jeep. They
can't say we don't want to see it.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
One thing wasn't made exactly clear.

Is this the standard factory warranty, an extended warranty, it something like that max care that a previous poster mentioned? That can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely not cashing the check. Dealership appears to be handling it now, so I'm just gonna sit back and see how it plays out.

Turns out the attorney handling the case from when my wife hit a cow in her expedition is willing to handle it if they don't step up. At this point I'm about ready to just pay it off and junk it, then recoup the value in court if it comes to that.

Its a lifetime powertrain warranty through MOPAR, so it is an extended warranty. My understanding is they lost their butts on these lifetime warranties, so they find every little technicality they can to deny you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the appeal was denied. I spoke to a MOPAR rep today that was actually somewhat helpful, albeit the process is dumb as hell. Apparently now I have to actually mail the claims department a letter because they don't have a phone number 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Gonna send them my tax returns showing that I never made any money from uber.

I love how no one there has a phone. Supervisors, claims department, legal, etc. Literally the only people you can speak to are the people that can't do anything other than repeat the same spiel over and over.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Probably a long shot, but I found the home phone number for John Fox, the director of Mopar vehicle protection. Left him a message so we'll see what happens. Probably ignore me like everyone else has.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Define “technicality”

You did something that violates the warranty. What did you expect?

I’m genuinely curious. Do you expect them to still honor it?

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Generally speaking, the common law of contracts does not support turning the document into a minefield. An insubstantial breach generally should not result in a "penalty" in excess of harm of the breach. In fact, contractual penalties are not permitted in the US. I understand in some parts of the country a business culture has arisen that says the customer always loses. Maybe the origin of such a philosophy is support for the tried-and-true concept of buyer beware.

It's been a while since I've looked at UCC issues concerning sales of goods, but this is different because the extended service plan is at issue.

Who's to say whether or not an insubstantial breach caused harm to the vendor? That's why the courts take evidence regarding the facts and circumstances. This is where they'll bet on most people assuming that a lawyer will be too expensive, so they'll force you to call their bluff.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Also, the **** is with chryslers "customer score" that determines how helpful the reps can be? When I called corporate and wound up talking to the jeep cares rep, they explained that my score wasn't high enough for them to be able to help. If it was higher they could help no problem.
When more people learn about this it's going to hurt the brands

1 - 20 of 22 Posts