Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Your google translator is working very well.
I never suspected any translation oddities.
I can not just trust Google. A language is much more than words. We must think in the language we speak. I was a truck driver and I did a lot of long distance across Canada. My English is not bad. It's more at the spelling level and google is exellent on this. But I often have to rebuild sentences so that they make sense in English.

I'm sure the same is true for English to French.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I've not ready through any electric conversions, but what all is needed to do this? Once you have the motor, and get it properly mounted to the transmission, do you just need a whole bunch of batteries and a throttle linkage to some sort of rheostat switch?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I've not ready through any electric conversions, but what all is needed to do this? Once you have the motor, and get it properly mounted to the transmission, do you just need a whole bunch of batteries and a throttle linkage to some sort of rheostat switch?
Yes and no. In order for everything to work I need
1: A battery pack
2: A system to convert the electric current to the necessary power
3: A throttle
4: A motor.

Ok, that's a little more complicated than that. I have to confess that I do not really know how it all works. The only thing I know is that a lot of people are doing it, and not necessarily engineers coming out of the university. I'm a truck driver and a handyman with a disease called curiosity.

My electric jeep project is a challenge for me and my son.

:banana:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I have taken the measurements for the coupling parts, engine - transmission, and send it to a machine shop.

Here's what it should look like.

And here is a video that shows what I want to do:

The engine should arrive within two weeks. I will be able to start the testing with the arrival of spring and able to see my jeep move this summer.

:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Since the entire driveline is still there behind the adapter plate, do you think you'll just keep the jeep in 1:1 gear all the time, rather than shifting through the gears?
It is true that I do not really need a transmission to move forward. The main reason for keeping it is to be able to easily go in reverse without having to play with the electric current.

And for me the real pleasure of driving is with a manual transmission. Without a clutch it is not the same thing.

I watched your video, how come they all sound so noisy from the tranny?
Like this video also:

I hope your adapter has room for the pilot bushing for the tranny.
Personally I think a $600 conversion is not serious.

About the noise, I'll have to do my own tests to see, or hear something.

I will put video when I start playing with the engine and the transmission.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,263 Posts
While it probably would run fine in 1:1, but it would come at the expense of range and wear on the speed controller. You would be using high torque numbers which equates into high amperage numbers if you were in 1:1 all of the time. Shifting through the gears, same as a gas motor, will help keep the max torque number and amperage low extending the battery and speed controller life. Also allow you to run the motor at it's most efficient RPM.

As for the noise, most likely coming from having an unloaded transmission backlash and the speedup/slowdown from an unloaded electric motor.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
It is true that I do not really need a transmission to move forward. The main reason for keeping it is to be able to easily go in reverse without having to play with the electric current.

And for me the real pleasure of driving is with a manual transmission. Without a clutch it is not the same thing.
Yea, man I bet you're going to hear alot more noises from the jeep when you don't have the engine noise covering them up :grin2:

Anyway, I'm watching your progress, cool project :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I just received the prices for the engine and coupling plate.

- GE 11" electric forklift motor - used - $500

- Coupling plate with adapter for flywheel - Custom made - $620

By counting all the costs up to now ( The jeep, restauration parts , electric parts), I am more or less at $3000. A third of my budget.
My web site: http://www.blafleur.net/benjeep/html/le_budget.html

When all will be installed and sure that everything works, I post on the forum how I make the template of the Coupling plate for the machine shop.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The electric motor used for my project is a GE 11 '' forklift engine of 72 -156 Volts and 450 Amps.

To install the electric motor in the jeep it is necessary to make two parts:

1- The adapter to fix the clutch.

The shaft of the electric motor is too long to adapt to the transmission. It must be cut and drill in the center for a good alignment. The part to be manufactured is the adapter that will allow to fix the flywheel.

2- The plate to connect the electric motor to the transmission.

To attach the motor to the transmission, a custom made part is required. The bellhousing and the front face of the electric motor are used to make the template. (A friend of mine who is skilled in computer and technical drawing has realized the template)

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,263 Posts
A funny comparison. More or less the same power but one is running on gasoline and the other on electric.

The old engine:

The new engine:

:rofl:
Both running off of inefficient burning of fossil fuels..... :rofl:

What voltage are you planning on running and are you planning on standard 12VDC batteries or a higher voltage battery option to reach the running voltage?

41 - 60 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.