Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
After a good review of the body, I decided not to restore it. I'll go for a fiberglass body. So ... Garbage

The former owner had installed suspension blades of a YJ jeep that are longer and wider than those of the CJ5. But the rest of the frame seems to be in good condition.

The frame leaves for the sandblast. It is only after that I can really know in what condition it is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The 304 is sold. The new electric motor is bought and expected to arrive in early March.

I will put all the spec of the engine and videos of my tests. I embark on something I do not know. There may be a lot of trial-and-error.

For the moment i am cleaning the transmission and the differentials. I am anxious to have this part done to start the real job. Reassemble and testing everything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Definately love the idea of an electric conversion. When I had my 2a, there was someone on the CJ2a forum that did an electric converison. He used the electric motor to transmission/transfercase route. Had a forum member machine the adapter for it. He had it running for awhile, but burned up his controller and was working on an upgrade last I checked it out.

Robert

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
It is the future, motor, controllers and especially batteries have advanced so much that it is viable on many classic vehicles to convert them to get better performance and more reliability. The benefit of quiet running and high torque at all engine speeds is also great, and it will work at all angles and can easily be made waterproof.

Wheeler Dealers converted a Maserati Biturbo and test drove an electric VW bus, looked like developed technology. Using the original clutch and transmission made it fairly straightforward, though they did struggle with locations for all the batteries.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Most of it is in Dutch, but nothing what Google translate can't solve. :)
It's so true. All the texts I write here are in French. I use google translation. Technology often makes us cringe but also has the incredible ability, when it is well done, to better help us understand each other and helps us live together.

:cheers2:

21 - 40 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.