Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Anyone who can manage the rest of the install can vacuum down and charge their own system. Many local auto parts stores will rent you the pump and the gauges for free with just a deposit (to be sure you bring them back). I only use a pump every few years and to me it is not worth owning one. I would have to store it and with my luck, it would probably not work when I needed it.

I wonder what an ac shop would charge to vacuum and charge up. ?? Someone was putting a Vintage Air unit in their CJ - probably twice the money & work. Any one do anything other than Jeep Air? Not that they aren't a good way to go.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a vacuum pump - (use it for lost wax jewelry casting) and gauges. But I don’t have one of those high end leak detectors some ac shops have. That would be one of the advantages of a shop to me. Of course most places are $$$$ and backed up nowadays…

Is the person who was installing the “vintage air” unit out there ?? They use in Ford GT40. Very high tech and compact. You have to make your own brackets etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I would just rent the pump and gauges for free. You may have problems connecting a set of R134 gauges to your pump. Why wear your pump out for 45 minutes of run time when you can use theirs.

If you use new parts and take your time with the installation, your chances of a leak are very small. Lube your o-rings when you put the fittings together.

What you can do at home that they do not do at the shop is to pump your system down several days before you want to charge it and see if it holds a vacuum. Turn off the valves to the pump and the gauges as sometimes the gauges or the pump will leak down.

If you can turn a wrench and have the tools, there is no advantage in having a shop do it. There is about $15 dollars worth of r-134 in the system if you do end up having a leak.

I have 2 Vintage Air Gen 4 systems that have yet to be installed. I have one for my CJ7 and one for my son's 1966 Mustang but have yet to have the time to install them.

I have a vacuum pump - (use it for lost wax jewelry casting) and gauges. But I don't have one of those high end leak detectors some ac shops have. That would be one of the advantages of a shop to me. Of course most places are $$$$ and backed up nowadays…

Is the person who was installing the "vintage air" unit out there ?? They use in Ford GT40. Very high tech and compact. You have to make your own brackets etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Anyone had any fittment issues. I ordered mine from Jeepair a few years ago and I'm just now able to install it. The blower motor is hitting the fresh air housing. I have a factory one to compare it to. The Jeepair blower motor sits back about an inch further than the factory unit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Forgive my ignorance if I am wrong please but I was under the impression that the old unit was to removed in its entirety before installing the JeepAir system? Meaning the factory fresh air box/duct was no longer necessary. Am I right or wrong? I don't see how they would hookup anyway

·
Registered
154 Posts
Anyone had any fittment issues. I ordered mine from Jeepair a few years ago and I'm just now able to install it. The blower motor is hitting the fresh air housing. I have a factory one to compare it to. The Jeepair blower motor sits back about an inch further than the factory unit.
Forgive my ignorance if I am wrong please but I was under the impression that the old unit was to removed in its entirety before installing the JeepAir system? Meaning the factory fresh air box/duct was no longer necessary. Am I right or wrong? I don't see how they would hookup anyway
For the Heater/AC system the entire heater system gets pulled out, but the instructions doesn't include removing the fresh air box (from memory), in fact, the kit includes a cap for the vent. I ripped it out and used a sheet of aluminum to seal up under the cowl. I angled the unit to give a better angle for use. I also modified the brackets to flush mount the unit under the dash for a better look. See my install thread for more detail if needed. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jeep-air-ac-heater-install-4423729/

What is the typical cost for a shop to crimp the hose fittings? Is there a decent crimping tool that would be worth the money instead?
The place I went charged $5 per crimp. They did tell me if they would give me a deal since they were doing quite a bit for me, the normal price was $10 per crimp. Most hydraulic hose shops can do it. I used tape to hold it in the position I wanted and used a marker to mark the location just in case it shifted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Green Chile, thanks for the info on cost of crimping. I will check some shops in my area. For that it will be much cheaper than purchasing a quality crimping tool.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Some people have had great luck with reasonably priced crimping tools.

https://www.amazon.com/ac-crimping-tool/s?k=ac+crimping+tool

On a specialty tool like this, I sometimes buy it and then sell it for almost what I paid for it. If you can find one in good used condition, it makes it easy to get 100% back when you are finished. It makes the job easier to make the hoses as you go with the crimper rather than having to take them in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some people have had great luck with reasonably priced crimping tools.

https://www.amazon.com/ac-crimping-tool/s?k=ac+crimping+tool

On a specialty tool like this, I sometimes buy it and then sell it for almost what I paid for it. If you can find one in good used condition, it makes it easy to get 100% back when you are finished. It makes the job easier to make the hoses as you go with the crimper rather than having to take them in.
I was looking at some of the ones in the link. Still debating on getting something when I tackle the install. The CJ7 I purchased has a compressor installed and an older a/c heater underdash that came with it. However, I am not sure what brand it is or if all of the parts are functioning or even with it. I think I would like to hook it back up someday, but debating on the need for it. It gets hot here in Texas, but there is just something about having the top and doors off that makes it fun. Now, my wife disagrees with me on that.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Are you saying that the original heater has been removed and that there is an aftermarket heater/AC unit installed? If that is the case, there are only a couple of companies that make AC/heater units. If I lived in Texas, I would connect it back up. A new universal hose kit is less than $100.00 and a compressor is less than $100.00. The R134 is probably less than $15.00. You can rent the vacuum pump and gauges for free at the local auto parts store with a deposit through the tool rental program at Autozone and Oreilly auto parts.

Here are some examples:

https://jeepair.com/collections/cj-ac-kits

Good luck.

I was looking at some of the ones in the link. Still debating on getting something when I tackle the install. The CJ7 I purchased has a compressor installed and an older a/c heater underdash that came with it. However, I am not sure what brand it is or if all of the parts are functioning or even with it. I think I would like to hook it back up someday, but debating on the need for it. It gets hot here in Texas, but there is just something about having the top and doors off that makes it fun. Now, my wife disagrees with me on that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you saying that the original heater has been removed and that there is an aftermarket heater/AC unit installed? If that is the case, there are only a couple of companies that make AC/heater units. If I lived in Texas, I would connect it back up. A new universal hose kit is less than $100.00 and a compressor is less than $100.00. The R134 is probably less than $15.00. You can rent the vacuum pump and gauges for free at the local auto parts store with a deposit through the tool rental program at Autozone and Oreilly auto parts.

Here are some examples:

http://jeepair.com/collections/cj-ac-kits

Good luck.

The original heater box is unit and seems to work properly. The aftermarket a/c unit was just laying in the back and while it is an a/c heater model it looks like it was just hooked up with a/c lines. I need to go through it to make sure it works correctly. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If the unit is truly a AC/Heater unit and only the AC has been used, it may be out of another Jeep.

I would rig up some test lines and pressurise the heater core to about 20 psi and see if it holds pressure. You could then do the same with the A/C side. If the heater core has never been used, it should be in good shape. A working A/C system is a much better defroster than a heater alone.

Here are some examples:

http://jeepair.com/collections/cj-ac-kits

Good luck.

The original heater box is unit and seems to work properly. The aftermarket a/c unit was just laying in the back and while it is an a/c heater model it looks like it was just hooked up with a/c lines. I need to go through it to make sure it works correctly. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Is the original heater system removed? I do not see any holes in the firewall or floor that look like they were used for drain hoses off of the a/c unit so it may not have been hooked up. However, everything is hooked up under the hood for an a/c and the holes in the firewall are there for the lines going to the cold side. The heater duct on the a/c unit was duct taped off like they blocked it off which lead me to believe they did not have it hooked up. I am not sure where the condensate drain lines are run from the under dash a/c unit though. But, this may be a project for next spring. Many other things to do in the mean time.

If the unit is truly a AC/Heater unit and only the AC has been used, it may be out of another Jeep.

I would rig up some test lines and pressurise the heater core to about 20 psi and see if it holds pressure. You could then do the same with the A/C side. If the heater core has never been used, it should be in good shape. I working A/C system is a much better defroster than a heater alone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great info

Thanks. JeepAir is now offering 10% off their site until the end of May by using code "CJ FORUM 10" (<<< no spaces; for some reason the page is doing weird formatting on it) on their site.

Just FYI. Again, no business affiliation with them whatsoever.
I appreciate the write up and your enthusiasm on this product. I have just sent them a message to see if they can build me a system for my CJ with a transplanted Vortec 4.3 engine. My CJ is a work in progress as I just picked up the engine.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You do not really need a custom system. You just buy the parts you need. If the Vortec A/C compressor fits in your current mounting setup, you are half way there. You may want to look at a Vintage air Gen 4 magnum system. They have a universal kit that is the core of their custom kits. They do not make a kit for the CJ7 at this time. I have not put mine in yet but it should not be too hard. You will then need a universal hose kit. If you have the money, the Vintage Air 547002 - Vintage Air E-Z Clip Refrigerant Hose Kits
is very nice and does not require a hydraulic crimper. It uses crimp bands and the hose had a smaller outside diameter and makes for a nicer installation.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-547002

If you can get it to fit, this condencer unit has really nice mounting brackets. This is a much better choice than hanging a universal condencer from plumber's tape like so many kits have you do. This is especially important if you actually use your Jeep as a 4x4.

https://jeepair.com/collections/con...t-condenser-with-drier?variant=32066937815125

Here is the Vintage Air Evaporator/heater unit. They helped design a similar unit for the GT40.

https://www.vintageair.com/university/gen-iv-magnum-universal-fit-systems/

I appreciate the write up and your enthusiasm on this product. I have just sent them a message to see if they can build me a system for my CJ with a transplanted Vortec 4.3 engine. My CJ is a work in progress as I just picked up the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for sharing! The part about R134A refrigerant only is what I needed. "R12 and other variants of refrigerant will ruin the system; at no time should the high side exceed 250 PSI of stabilized pressure" - what is the worst case? An air conditioner will become unrepairable? It's interesting that car aircons are so demanding. My home unit works perfectly without special treatment, except damned air filter. I even have bookmarked some hvac contractors tampa fl in case of another breakage. The city air kills not only my lungs but my aircon as well...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Installed the AC + Heat for a 4.0 compressor earlier this year and these instructions really helped as the ones that are provided suck. Finally got around to a shop charging it for me.

Glad I went to a professional instead of performing it myself as they only billed me for one charge even though it took 4x with the issues that came up. I see why even their competition recommended them and have a lot of positive reviews about their customer service.

Don't just have any hydraulic shop crimp your hoses. The AC shop had to redo the ones I had a hydraulic shop perform as they kept leaking. That was the 1st / semi-charge.

The high pressure check valve was faulty and blew early the 2nd time. JeepAir sent a replacement via 2-day UPS and confirmed they were using the correct pressures.

The 3rd time, one of the O-rings that came with the kit was defective and the connection at the condenser blew all over everything. They replaced most of them with ones they had available to try and avoid future issues.

4th time held and the shop ran it for 45 minutes to confirm. Idle, with a mechanical fan, and in the blazing hot Texas sun, the engine didn't overheat and I was pleasantly surprised.

It blows really cold right away. Quicker and cooler than my other newer vehicles.

Only thing odd seems to be the evaporator unit fan. It has the 4 fan speeds and #1 is more like Turbo/Max. It's loud with a good amount of force. The rest are somewhat stronger but not much. I'm wondering if mine is defective in some way as the fan speed seems to be all or nothing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I installed a Classic Auto Air system in my '71 Mach 1, being a non-A/C car originally. The instructions were excellent, and everything went in just as it was supposed to. Sucking down the system (vacuum) and charging is no big deal, just like StoneTower mentioned... just gotta have the right tools.

When I went looking for a replacement system for my Jeep, I found Nostalgic Air, and it checked off all the boxes - the instructions look fairly complete as well, but all the pictures in this thread will be extremely helpful. Having to cut and crimp the hoses will be new, but I don't see any issues there, in fact, I'm actually kind of happy about that so I won't wind up with a bunch of 'extra' hose length to figure out how to route. My fenders are on piano hinges fastened to the firewall, so mounting some of the inner fender mounted things will require some creative bracketry, and potentially shorter and/or longer hoses that what might've come pre-cut/crimped with a different system.

Once the weather starts cooperating a bit more, I'll dig into that as well (since I'll be rewiring the entire electrical system from the firewall forward, swapping to H4/Halo headlights, and finishing up the 304 installation/swap).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts