Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted all this information in my build thread, but I wanted to start up a new one just for the AC installation alone.

1977 CJ7 4.2/258 T150/D20.

Here is my build.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1977-cj7-green-chile-build-4349269/

Well after saving a bit of money I broke down and bought the full heating/ac system. I was going to piece it all together but I wasn't having the best of luck finding all of the parts. I did find an under dash unit, looks the same as the Jeepair AC unit. I opted for the heating unit since there would be almost no way to hook up my modified heater to the AC unit. Here is the kit I got. https://jeepair.com/collections/cj-...series-jeep-258-engine?variant=32066967634005

Here is a scan of the installation instructions.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O3...uh4XY21pJ9qKXwyFOhV3HDJVuKUFSslhS9Lt7Z9krBrVw

Here are some links for reference.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/...tioning-system-installation-write-up-4395711/
https://jeepair.com/pages/pictures-...properly-mount-a-heat-and-a-c-under-dash-unit
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jeepair-install-86-cj7-5-3l-vortec-4104633/

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The AC installation took a little longer than expected. The kit is complete minus a few smaller bolts and misc stuff. I also custom fabricated several brackets as I didn't like the position of things or the universal brackets provided.

I started by gently taking out the radiator and old heater system and battery tray along with the alternator and brackets.

Next was to install the under the dash unit. I found out the mounting brackets they provided were too flimsy and they didn't allow the unit to be mounted flush with the bottom of the dash as the mounting hardware was in the way and it didn't allow the unit to be flush with the dash face as it was sticking out forward about a 1/2in or so. The other issue is the dash unit has 2 captive nuts for mounting but the brackets only use one and the unit can pivot off of that single bolt.
I used the passenger bracket with a second slot that I welded on to it along with an additional bracket to set it back further. The driver side I had to fabricate my own bracket to mount it passed the air vent to flush mount the bottom of the dash as well as to the face.

The passenger side.

The driver's side, unfortunately, I can't really take a picture of the rest of the bracket, but I used a foot of angle iron along the lower dash lip and it bolts up just under the steering wheel.

I had to relocate the cigarette lighter and ashtray. (Which doesn't get used, just for looks)

The heater hoses need a hard 90 right behind the dash unit to reach the firewall holes. I found some preformed 90 deg hoses from Advance Auto and got some hard-line brass heater hose splice adapters. The heater core uses a ball valve operated by cable, I just reused the temp cable from the original system. The other cable is used to activate the windshield defroster vents which I had to make my own mount for the cable as it didn't have any mounting location on the airbox. They provided a cap for the fresh air intake and an adapter for the defrosters for the later year air systems. For my 77 I was able to adapt the provided hose to my factory cardboard defroster vent.

Heater core ball valve which now reuses the factory cable.

Here is the brass hose joints, and the 90 degree hard hoses

I ran into my first problems, the transmission shifter hit the under the dash unit, so I removed the shifter and some custom bending took care of that. Next was the transfer case shifter would not be able to fully operate into 4low. So for normal 2high, it's alright until I could figure out something. Perhaps its time for the twin-stick setup I was wanting.

I next drilled out my holes for the hoses, 2 for the AC, 2 for the heater, and 2 for the drains. I used panel hole caps to cap off the existing holes in the frame.

Here is the driver side drain hole.

Here is the passenger side drain hole.

I followed the mounting instructions for the AC compressor and alternator as well as the dryer. I had to grind down a little clearance for the alternator to be able to rotate on their provided brackets, other than that they are good quality. A nice feature is that there were reinforced holes in the fenders already for mounting the dryer.

Here is the clearance needed for the alternator.

The AC condenser is meant to be mounted using universal brackets that are very weak and junky looking. I ended up only using them on the top as they were short and decent looking. For the bottom ones, I just bent up some 1/8 aluminum strap and used some panel clip nuts to the core support.

Unfortunately, I didn't take photos before the radiator was fully installed and filled up.

Here is the top of the radiator, you can see the top condenser mounting bracket bolts.

Here is the bottom support.

Here is the dryer location.

This kit includes hoses that you cut to fit and take it to get hydraulically crimped. Which gives you a lot of flexibility as far as routing and drilling out the firewall holes. A local hydraulic shop charges $5 each crimp but cut me a deal since there were a lot of them so for 4 hoses and 8 crimps for $20 total.

The wiring is really simple. A switched positive, a negative, and a wire from the dryer switch to the dash unit.

So it all works, it works great. The only thing is the engine can get overheated so I need to set up an electric fan if I have the room in front of the condenser.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this may be a dumb question but does this also have a floor vent for heat? I know they have the front dash vents and the defrost, but what about the floor?
This unit does not have a vent for the floor.

Very nice..! I'd love to do this but mine is a 1983, 151 2.5 4 cylinder and I cannot find any info whatsoever for the iron duke. I don't think a kit is available for a 4 cylinder.
Call or email them to ask, but the only thing that may need to be custom fabricated if they don't would be the compressor brackets, the rest of the system will work. You may be able to find a factory compressor and bracket and the rest of their system.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I bet it's available. GM put the iron duke in many of their models so I'm sure that there is a bracket somewhere that will work.

Reactions: First-Jeep

·
Registered
43 Posts
I want this desperately for my Jeep. Someone removed the AC sometime ago and the clutch on the compressor makes a scraping sound like the bearings are done. Pretty sure I need to do the heater box rebuild as well. However, I need to find a body shop in my home town that will replace my floor pans and rear bed pan first. No one seems to want the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.