Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been having this problem with my 96 ZJ 5.2. It started out where it would stall out in reverse and I would lose all electrical power and would have to leave the key in the on position for 10-20 min until it would come back. I was also getting some buzzing from a relay in the passenger compartment tied to the Hazard lights. I tried changing the neutral safety switch that did nothing. Also tried pulling the buzzing relay and that stopped the buzzing but not the actual problem of losing all power. Also noticed sometimes the ABS light would light up so I pulled that fuse and still nothing.

So then I decided to remove the reverse light bulbs and that actually fixed the problem for a few weeks. I still had the buzzing from that relay mostly which would happen when I would step on the brakes but other than that the Jeep was running. Now this morning I was driving down my street, stepped on the brakes to get to the stop sign and the Jeep lost all power again like it was doing before when putting in reverse and I havent gotten it to come back yet.

Does anyone know what could be going on here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I was able to get the Jeep to start by putting a wire from the positive of the battery to the 15amp ASD fuse in the engine compartment but then when i try to turn the car off and take the key out it stays running so i have to remove the wire.... any idea wat this means?

·
Registered
236 Posts
x2 on the ground cleaning, and give the main positive stuff a good going over as well.

If you are running the wire to Fuse 20, then it means something is really out of wack. There should always be power on that Fuse 20 under the hood anyway, so running a jumper wire to it is just redundant and shouldn't cause that issue at all. Fuse 18 however comes from the ignition switch, so the wire would need to be pulled in that case. Could be part of your ignition switch is wonky. If the ground cleaning doesn't change anything, try swapping the ASD Relay with another one from in there and see what works or doesn't. The PCM is responsible for the ASD relay turning on/off, so there might be something brewing in there also, though I'd want to try and rule out every other thing before going there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I cleaned the ground connections near the battery and I also checked all the fuses with a light and the only one not getting any power whether the key is off or on is that 15amp ASD fuse.. Its the number 18 one not 20. 20 is fine. The number 18 one is the one i ran a positive wire to from the battery and was able to start the Jeep.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Fuse 18 gets power from the Ignition switch (electrical part of it) when it's in the Run or Start positions, so that thing is suspect. In the Junction block (inside fuse block) Fuse 4 and Fuse 5 also get power from that same Ignition switch connection that Fuse 18 uses. If both of those inside have power with the key on, then you have a wiring issue from the switch to Fuse 18 somewhere, if both of those fuses inside also have no power, then I'd suspect the Ignition switch. You can turn it to Run and give it a few wiggles while watching the meter and see if the voltage jumps around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if this helps but when I put a test light on the ignition harness, nothing lights up anywhere. The only thing that does anything are on one of the smaller connectors it makes the key chime come on and on the other small connector it beeps the horn. Thats it. The large connector shows no power at any of the 7 pins.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuse 18 gets power from the Ignition switch (electrical part of it) when it's in the Run or Start positions, so that thing is suspect. In the Junction block (inside fuse block) Fuse 4 and Fuse 5 also get power from that same Ignition switch connection that Fuse 18 uses. If both of those inside have power with the key on, then you have a wiring issue from the switch to Fuse 18 somewhere, if both of those fuses inside also have no power, then I'd suspect the Ignition switch. You can turn it to Run and give it a few wiggles while watching the meter and see if the voltage jumps around.
just saw your response. ill go check fuse 4 and 5 now. thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Pin 7, the large connector there, the Red/White wire, should have 12v on it all the time. If it does not, then check Fuse 8 in the PDC under the hood. If Fuse 8 is good then suspect some wiring issue between that fuse and the connector there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked and fuses 4 & 5 do not have power with the key on. Pin #7 does not have any power to it. Fuse 8 as well as all the other large fuses under the hood have power to them.

Could any of this be related to the electrical issue i was having before no longer being able to start the Jeep at all? Like when I would put it into reverse and it would turn the whole vehicle off until I removed those reverse light bulbs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your Park Neutral Position switch could be iffy as well, but that would not keep the 12v from getting from Fuse 8 in the PDC to the Ignition switch. That sounds like something has finally rubbed, corroded or burnt open and is keeping that 12v from getting to the Ignition switch.

Check connector C233, 4 pin connector, for corrosion or any damage. You'll need the FSM to sort out exactly where that thing is, as it's on the lower left of the Instrument cluster in that mess of connectors there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
u were right that it was a wire that had rubbed through. Ive been out there all day just came in. I followed the red wire with white stripe from the ignition down to some module in the driver side footwell. From there it went out the firewall and around the front of the car to the fuse box in the engine bay. I found the point it was damaged was right where it exited the firewall on the engine bay side. It was like 90% cut through so I just cut it the rest of the way and cleaned it up and put in a heat shrink crimp connector and everything works back to normal now. even was able to plug the reverse light bulbs back in and the jeep no longer stalls out in reverse. its amazing what one little wire can do. thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1978 Jeep Cj5 OEM AMC 304
591 Posts
u were right that it was a wire that had rubbed through. Ive been out there all day just came in. I followed the red wire with white stripe from the ignition down to some module in the driver side footwell. From there it went out the firewall and around the front of the car to the fuse box in the engine bay. I found the point it was damaged was right where it exited the firewall on the engine bay side. It was like 90% cut through so I just cut it the rest of the way and cleaned it up and put in a heat shrink crimp connector and everything works back to normal now. even was able to plug the reverse light bulbs back in and the jeep no longer stalls out in reverse. its amazing what one little wire can do. thanks for all your help!
Good Job Jeeper!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts