Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, Jeepers I have a 2013 Automatic jeep wrangler unlimited sport on 4inch lift with 33s and it’s got 117,655 mileage on it. I was at the trail head to go out wheeling when I start to hear this noice so I just left the trail without wheeling People told me it looks like it’s coming from the transfer case when I put it in 4high and try to turn left or right it makes this grinding noice it does the same thing on 4 low too but on 2 wheel drive it drives normal any ideas what it could be making this noice. I have a video of it here Jeep 4high and 4low makes grinding noice when turning left or right but 2 wheel drive works fine

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I suspect if it were the transfer case it would not be ery sensitive to steering position. Check the universals in the front steering knuckles (common failure point). Perhaps pull the diff cover and see if anything looks broken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, Jeepers I have a 2013 Automatic jeep wrangler unlimited sport on 4inch lift with 33s and it’s got 117,655 mileage on it. I was at the trail head to go out wheeling when I start to hear this noice so I just left the trail without wheeling People told me it looks like it’s coming from the transfer case when I put it in 4high and try to turn left or right it makes this grinding noice it does the same thing on 4 low too any ideas what it could be making this noice. I have a video but I don’t know how to post it😭
Post the video on youtube then put the link here.
I suspect if it were the transfer case it would not be ery sensitive to steering position. Check the universals in the front steering knuckles (common failure point). Perhaps pull the diff cover and see if anything looks broken.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Sounds like the front driveshaft. as you one a very high traction surface and putting a bind on the front when turning. Check the shaft at both ends and the axle ujoints as they could be bad also since the noise is made during application of power to the front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It only starts making that noise once in 4H or 4L right? If so, check for damage where the front drive shaft connects to the transfer case. Once Wranglers are lifted, the rzeppa CV cannot handle the drive shaft angle and destroys the cv. Let us know or send a pic of that spot. Same noise came from my JK and I fixed it with a Teraflex high angle rzeppa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts