Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i have had the cherokee for a few months now, and well since i havent really posted more than the craigslist pictures i figure its time to get an update of everything up and start a build thread...

So after i bought it it just kinda sat in the driveway, and then boom...massive amounts of snow that left me with no choice but to drive it even though i didnt wanna have it on the road....

Finally with this good weather it went into the shop, and this is what it came out with...

replaced passenger upper and lower ball joints-
replaced passenger side u joint-
alignment-
new tires(31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2)
new wheels(15x8 Cragar Soft 8's)

All the pics are taken as i was doing some work on the cherokee yesterday...

I have so far gotten pretty much everything off the exterior that i dont want...

Flares are gone
Bumper endcaps gone
Side molding gone
Rear sway gone
Rust removal started

Ahhh rust

Cut up sway bar haha

Also pulled the trailer hitch, and the rear steel bumper to sand and recoat...bumper is almost done, hitch is still crusty...

And one last pic to finish it off

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good, any future plans besides rust treatment?

:highfive:
-Mike
well first get the rear bumper back on, and the hitch...

from there get the front winch bumper painted and mounted...then 1ton steering...black out tails, side markers, blinkers. After that probably the warn rear tire carrier as i think i can make it work with my current rear bumper its almost exactly the same as the warn one. A cheapo basket if i get the tire carrier, if not a nice safari rack. Then some lighting. After that not sure, would love a 5.5 inch iro long arm, but that probably wont happen till the end of the summer.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so yesterday was ok auto 4wd's open house, and well i had a few bucks saved up that i was hoping to get something, was really in the market for a trans, rear leaves, and shocks...

well no trans but i picked up some meduim duty OME leaves for the back and a set of 4 bds shocks, u bolts, and poly bushings for something like 430 bucks. im pretty stoked to get the stuff installed.

also managed to tear the whole interior out, carpet is gonzo, and all the trim pieces are off, as well as a good portion of the dash is disassembled. i got a cheap visonik amp sub box combo for 20 bucks and that is like half wired, as well as i also got a pioneer headunit for half price at wally world. currently waiting on the two rear shocks to come in as well as the poly bushings...

my lady also made a big purchase as well, but ill leave her to spill the beans in her own thread on that one...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump for pics and updates:D
update and pics coming shortly, just gotta get everything off my cell phone cause my camera took a dump lol...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so heres a long awaited update...i dont really know that i got all that much accomplished, but here we go...

so last month i started dealing with the rust problems, and well ill let the pictures speak for what i had to deal with...

these pictures are all after i attacked the rust...i will however being ordering some chassis saver and hitting everything again.

ok so on to the past two days...

i took on the task of installing my rear suspension...and well everything went off without a hitch for the most part with the exception of i had to cut 2 or the 4 spring eye bolts...not really a big deal, except i couldnt for the life of me find bolts that matched up...so i waited until this morning and the dealer was open and sourced two from one dealer and two from another...

i will be posting up some before and after pictures as soon as i can email them from my phone, service is incredibly bad in this area...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahhhh rust monsters got that one, i still need to pull the carpet up on mine, mine doesnt seem to be rusted that bad thank god, i almost bought a 76 scout II if it wasnt for bad rust.
yea rust sucks, i am however working on fixing it all, and i should have most of it sealed up or removed shortly...next up is the trans but im probably going to leave that task to the professionals lol...

im still trying to get more of the update pics that i have with the new rear suspension in...my phone is so broken, i cant get any of them to send lol

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
some of the pictures from my rear suspension install...

they are rc lift shackles with ome medium duty leaf springs...

i also have some bds shocks that i have to install as well but i broke both lower shock bolts so i still gotta drill em out and put a new bolt thru...i think i have an idea as to what im gonna do for that without welding it, and ill post up some pics if it works out...

i also have more pictures but i dont have them downloaded from my email account yet..

and thats my new power pack on the ground...its sweet, my battery was totally dead and that thing started the truck no problem...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good, lots of progress. What bolts did you end up using for the rear leaf springs? You didn't think i would forget your thread did you! haha
i ended up going to the dealership only cause i had to get it out of the driveway that day...it worked out tho cause i found a dealer in the area that has a large overflow of hard to find parts that they keep at their body shop...the guy had every bolt, nut, etc that you could want that came stock on a cherokee lol...only two leaf spring bolts tho so i sourced another two at another local stealership...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Gah, I wish I'd have been reading this thread a few days ago! I've got the FPM, and looked up and ordered all new hardware for my lift install - I could have given you the leaf eye bolt size! Sorry man!

Looking good! You're a braver man than I, taking on all that rust...
its all good, i shoulda known, everytime i try to replace a bolt on this thing i cant find it locally, although another member mentioned fastenal, and i just found one today so im stoked about that cause they are 10 minutes away.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
okay so i know i have been really idle in terms of doing anything to the jeep but im back from vacation, and with more money than i thought i was going to come home with so its time for some much needed love on the cherokee....

im ordering up the c rok steering box brace first so that i can get my front winch bumper on...

as well as im also going to order up some longer brake lines cause my lift is pushing the limits of my current lines lol

just curious as to what length to go with for the brake lines, im guessing with 4 inches of lift i should go with 4 inches over stock, that would mean i need an 18 inch rear brake line correct?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
okay so i have been making some progress on the jeep and ill have to get some more pictures loaded up but for today im off to harrys u pull it in hazleton cause i popped the rear u joint on my driveshaft pulling into the driveway yesterday lol. gonna get a zj front shaft and an xj front. That was ill have like a 28 inch shaft and a 32 inch shaft. Then a h and t in the upcoming weeks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
wow thats a lot of rust.. you are brave
its not all rust, a lot of stuff have been sanded or cut out and then heavily painted with rustoleum primer for rusty metal, but yea everything up this way is pretty rust ridden, its just the way it goes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice work so far - big job...
So how are you going to fill the rust holes - weld new metal, cut out a piece from a junk yard jeep, fiberglass ... ?
just gonna even the hole out and then weld in some new metal, rockers are gonna go and get replaced with some rectangular steel.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I know I'm almost a month late, but...

On your brake lines, you'll want to keep in mind that even though you've "only" lifted 4", the amount of flex has gone up by more than that. I lifted my XJ 3.5", and I think the brake lines I put in are 22" long...? They're at least 20".
i went 3 inches over stock, and they are long, i almost thought they were too long when i put em on

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i cant really picture in my head where that is in the vehicle can you take a better picture?

also i would try to avoid cutting and seams or welds, unless ofcourse you were going to re weld that area

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
for that kind of hole i would go the JY and bring a grinder or something to cut metal, and cut out that spot from another jeep, and then cut yours out and weld in the newer stuff, the only way to stop rust from spreading is to cut out all the affected area.
agreed, you can only cover it for so long. Anything that has already created a hole, needs to be cut out fully, thats what im currently in the process of doing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
so it rained all day today, and that kinda threw a wrench in my plans to finish the brake lines today...so i had to push the truck back into the street and chock the tires since I blew up the u joint on the driveshaft coming into the driveway lol. i guess thats what happens when your missing a bolt in the strap lol. doesnt matter anyhow, ordering up some nut strips from jcr, h&t from iro, and some other stuff tomorrow. Also went to the u pull it in hazelton and snatched up a front driveshaft from an xj and a zj, the zj seems to be about 3 inches longer so im figuring thats gonna be my new rear shaft as i think the xj shaft will be a bit short since i have a manual. gonna get busy rebuilding both of them this week i hope....

also came upon a welder on CL for 100 bucks. its a century stick welder, looks to be in fantastic condition and its local. im pretty stoked as i think it retails for 350 or more.

next month the jeep should be going into the trans shop to swap for the ax15 i have in the shed and a clutch kit. then it should be ready to go as after that i should have addressed everything that needed to be taken care of.

future plans now stand for 33's as my 31's are going to my girl once her lift is on, regear to 4.10's or maybe 4.56 depending on whats recommended, 4 inch springs up front, 1 ton steering, and then once i feel the need iro long arms, but thats all next years plans, probably not till next summer....also if i find a deal on some axles, i may or may not swap out my current setup, but again next years plans.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.