Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 grand cherokee and have the 247 t case. I eliminated the front drive clutch pack but I use this truck as a strictly as an off road unit and this t case stretches chains to easy when I get into I to the hills. I only have 33 inch tires with a locked rear. I would like to know if there is a gear driven option or some way I can beef this t case up or even put in a divorced case. I don't want any of the other cases in they are not any stronger. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't have the 33's or winch on in this pic.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Swap in a 231, many have done it and it's strong enough for anything you are going to try. If you are worried monsterize it first. JP magazine did an article on this a few years ago.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swap in a 231, many have done it and it's strong enough for anything you are going to try. If you are worried monsterize it first. JP magazine did an article on this a few years ago.
Ok I'll try that, this one had a new chain and I climbed about a 20 foo straight up crevice that was badly chewed up by hitting her wide open. Launched the jeep up in the air and when it landed it stretched the chain but I made it up a hill no one else was able to climb even a fully caged buggy on 44's with a 350.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The 242HD has a wider chain than the rest of the WJ TCs. It's a straight bolt on as well, no modification needed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 242HD has a wider chain than the rest of the WJ TCs. It's a straight bolt on as well, no modification needed.
So I wouldn't need to change any thing? Does the 242 have 2 wheel drive as well?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anything I need to know if I get a 231, I see some have different shafts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, doesn't look like those t cases are as easy to find as a 231.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Thanks for the info, doesn't look like those t cases are as easy to find as a 231.
Unfortunately they are not, and they are expensive. If you want to build up a 231hd check my sig, but a jy 242hd will probably cost less overall though not quite as strong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts