Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

6,041 Posts
The 3.6L is a completely different engine than the 3.8L found in a 2010 JK.

My 12 JK has a 3.6L, my 17 WK2 Trailhawk has a 3.6L by choice and my buddy has a 21 Rubicon Gladiator loves his 3.6L

· Registered
986 Posts
The Pentastar is a huge improvement over the 3.8L pushrod iron motor in the 2010 JK. I have a 2012 JK with the Pentastar and it actually has enough power to keep up with traffic, lol. The downside is that it is a much bulkier engine than the 3.8L and it was really crammed under the hood of the JK as vs your minivan engine which was really easy to work on, requiring e.g. removal of the upper intake manifold in order to change the spark plugs. The JL/JT has rearranged things slightly to make it easier to get to things but the Pentastar is still pretty crammed in there.

BTW, the JT has a next-generation Pentastar with multi-stage variable valve lift as versus the single-stage VVT on my generation Pentastar. I have no idea what effect that actually has. The actual horsepower/torque ratings haven't changed since the 1st gen Pentastar in my current Jeep. My JT hasn't arrived yet (they say it's been shipped and will arrive by the end of this month) so I can't tell you what effect the added weight of the JT has on performance. I suspect not good.... but even so, it should still be better than your 2010.

· Registered
142 Posts
Performance? Geeze...we drive bricks, aerodynamically speaking. Basically, you want the silly thing to be able to get out of it's own way ;)

The JT V-6 does that and more. Got plenty of pep and actually tows quite well. Mine handles my 27', 5,300 lb (loaded) trailer quite easily. And, mine gets decent gas mileage too. I typically get 19+ bopping around and 23+ on the highway. Towing, 13 mpg. Not too shabby for a brick.

My Wife's 2019 GC Ltd. has the same engine. Same fuel economy bit, it's 24+ on the highway. You know, aerodynamics 😂

· Registered
44 Posts
I've never driven the 3.8 in your jeep but had 2, two door wranglers and now the jt with the 3.6. It's not a torquey motor but is pretty good. The 8 speed transmission is great as well. I refused to buy a jeep until they put a decent motor and transmission in them, hence buying a wrangler in 2012. I don't think you can go wrong....unless they offer that straight 6 twin turbo stellantis motor soon but iam not too optimistic on the future regarding future gas engines.

I say live for the moment because tomorrow you may be in a walmart line getting your ration of Ramen noodles.

· Registered
100 Posts
The big issue I've seen with the second generation 3.6 is head, head gasket, and cylinder wall issues. It's awfully common to see a gen 2 3.6 with a misfire that turns into an engine due to cylinder wall scoring. I've been a bigger fan of the gen 1 3.6, (no EGR, no VVL) just to me a mechanically simpler engine and prone to less issues. But if you don't run into these issues, then honestly I'd say their arguably the best engine Chrysler produces, and unlike the hemi's their made in the US.

· Registered
3,517 Posts
One thing I do NOT like:
that horrible plastic oil filter housing....how can they...take something like a simple oil filter and turn it into a fragile leak prone piece of crap that when it leaks, not if, costs you $800 to have changed, that's if the part isn't on back order. For shame! Not a fan of some of this modern engineering! Even on the old 4.0s with the oil fiter adapter, if they leaked well it was just 3 orings not taking off both halves of the intake manifold!

6,041 Posts
One thing I do NOT like:
that horrible plastic oil filter housing....how can they...take something like a simple oil filter and turn it into a fragile leak prone piece of crap that when it leaks, not if, costs you $800 to have changed, that's if the part isn't on back order. For shame! Not a fan of some of this modern engineering! Even on the old 4.0s with the oil fiter adapter, if they leaked well it was just 3 orings not taking off both halves of the intake manifold!
I can't disagree but at least Dorman has us covered for this. It's not too bad to change if you are handy but if you have to rely on the dealer, that then sucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts