Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Instrument cluster and blower motor intermittent when cold?

244 8
Hi all. I'm having an issue with my Instrument cluster/ blower motor circuit on my 05 WK Laredo. This has happened twice, and I'm afraid it will progressively get worse. First time this happened was when I was driving down a straight road and randomly just lost both my Instrument cluster and blower motor. They came back about 15 seconds later, though it was off-putting. Today I was getting off an exit and my Instrument cluster was freaking out, dash lights were coming on and off as if I was shutting the vehicle off and turning the key back on rapidly. Blower motor seemed to follow the same pattern. I will note that it has been cold for the past week or so around where I live so might be a cold solder joint somewhere? Weak relay? Not too sure where to start.
Any input is greatly appreciated :)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Check if the ignition switch recall was offered and performed on your vehicle. My 05 had the same problem - dashboard blinked like a Christmas tree. New ignition switch installed per the recall solved the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check if the ignition switch recall was offered and performed on your vehicle. My 05 had the same problem - dashboard blinked like a Christmas tree. New ignition switch installed per the recall solved the problem.
Thank you RCS1300 for your input. Unfortunately, I checked the recall status of my vehicle and it seems as though the bulletin P41 addressing the ignition switch was already performed on July 28th of 2014. Is a bad ignition switch a common issue on jeep WK vehicles?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Hi all. I'm having an issue with my Instrument cluster/ blower motor circuit on my 05 WK Laredo. This has happened twice, and I'm afraid it will progressively get worse. First time this happened was when I was driving down a straight road and randomly just lost both my Instrument cluster and blower motor. They came back about 15 seconds later, though it was off-putting. Today I was getting off an exit and my Instrument cluster was freaking out, dash lights were coming on and off as if I was shutting the vehicle off and turning the key back on rapidly. Blower motor seemed to follow the same pattern. I will note that it has been cold for the past week or so around where I live so might be a cold solder joint somewhere? Weak relay? Not too sure where to start.
Any input is greatly appreciated :)
I had something similar and turned out to be the dirty Power Distribution Center under the hood. I cleaned and reseated all the fuses and it hasn't returned in over 10yrs now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe look for the ground connection that grounds the blower motor to the body? Could be rusted and now intermittent.

I believe it is ground G100 that is located in the left rear engine compartment against the left side of the frame.
Thank you all for your input. I checked and cleaned both grounds near the fuse and relay center. Saw a tiny bit of corrosion starting, but it didn't look significant enough to be causing an intermittent failure. The issue seems to only occur when two factors are in play. 1. It is at or below freezing outside, and 2 my blower motor is on the highest speed setting. Very odd. I know the ignition switch completes the circuit to the instrument cluster, but does it also complete the blower motor circuit?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Before you spend lots of time, do a load test on your battery to make sure it is good. Also check the voltage coming from the alternator to the battery to make sure that is good too.

I agree with yzjwk. If the ground is good then check the power source. Attached is the wiring diagram for the blower motor. Check for corrosion around the relay, fuse, and connectors to the power that supplies the relay and fuses.
Also check the connections on the battery and the power cables coming and going to the battery. If you have a voltmeter do voltage drop tests across these connections to find the problem more quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi all. First off Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! On a hunch, I went out and disconnected the negative battery cable. Saw corrosion behind the terminal that went undetected until I disconnected it. Also as RCS1300 suggested, checked voltage drop across the battery connections. Just under 12 volts when the motor is not running and while the alternator is charging got about 14.3 volts. Next, did a load test on the battery and alternator, passed both. As yzjwk suggested, also cleaned the HVAC, ignition switch, blower motor relay and related fuses under the hood in the PDC and fuse and relay center. I'll see if the issue happens again, at this point I'm fearing that it may be a cracked solder joint or chafed wire somewhere. Intermittent issues are always the hardest to pinpoint and correctly diagnose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts