Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well ive pretty much went through my 97 TJ and upgrade the whole sound system but in the past year my front speakers have always lacked and have recently blown i think due to the freeair mount location jeep dashes have....

was looking for some suggestions on changing the front speaker location as well as possible tweeter spots... Was leaning towards the mod pods with a 6.5 speaker(if they fit) but im not 100% sold on the floor location and feet even with grills.

As far as the rest of the system i have a JL Audio XD600/6 amp under the dash/steering, Hertz Hi energy 6.5s in the sound bar and a JL Microsub bolted to the rear tailgate

· Registered
489 Posts
Well ive pretty much went through my 97 TJ and upgrade the whole sound system but in the past year my front speakers have always lacked and have recently blown i think due to the freeair mount location jeep dashes have....

was looking for some suggestions on changing the front speaker location as well as possible tweeter spots... Was leaning towards the mod pods with a 6.5 speaker(if they fit) but im not 100% sold on the floor location and feet even with grills.

As far as the rest of the system i have a JL Audio XD600/6 amp under the dash/steering, Hertz Hi energy 6.5s in the sound bar and a JL Microsub bolted to the rear tailgate
biugly78cj5,
Did you replace the free air dash speakers with 4"x6"s or 5.25"s? Have you considered putting baffles or polyfil behind them?
Where are you considering mounting your tweeters? Most guys rig them up on top of their dash facing upwards(there is also a tread on there where a guy used JK tweeter pods in his TJ). The acoustically correct way would be to have them mounted below the driver/passenger and facing in/up...very similar to the kick pods you mentioned. I do not have these in mass production on my website yet, but if you are not wanting go through all the hassle of installing kick pods/wiring new speakers...these might be up your alley for tweeter relocation.

They are as acoustically correct as you can get for a Jeep and stay out of the way from muddy feet. Something to consider as well while we are on that topic is marine grade speakers. I am in no way affiliated with Polk Audio, but I always recommend them to customers because not only are they a higher end company...but all of they equipment is marine rated. Will more than likely pay for itself if your jeep ever gets wet(I went through 2 sets of Kickers before switching). Back on topic though, you are on the right track with mounting down low...just take water/mud into consideration. Good luck with your mods!

· Registered
489 Posts
Nalin, i think these are perfect and you should mass produce them. I sadly just gave in and bought a pair of q-logic kick panels for my TJ. Wish I would have seen this before!
Thanks for the input, I'm sure you'll be just as happy with your kick pods! I should have the first batch ready to ship this week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.