Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks - huntinfordeer here because I don't remember my password for HuntingForDeer, i'll get with a mod later. Anyway, not a wrangler or rubi question but my sister has a 2002 Jeep Liberty.
Leaking antifreeze from one Torx bolt, on top of a housing. I thought it was the thermostat housing but thats bottom left and needs belt removal. It's the "water intake", top rad hose goes there, but I can't find that in any schematics after hours on google. Here comes a picture, I know someone here will know what it's called. I figure there is an o-ring under the maybe Torx 18 bolt, but guessing the housing gasket should be replaced while in there. Anyway - what the heck is this housing called lol. The blue circle is where the thermo is, not her vehicle internet picture, but the red circle (not an artsy type) is the housing that the upper radiator hose goes to on hers. End of the arrow is a Torx bolt. Antifreeze is pooling on top of that, and blowing back. I've searched every schematic I could find and still don't know what that is, and googling water intake/housing can't find diddly. Oh and mods you can move this to the liberty section if you like, didn't know there was one ;)
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Scrap Gas Waste

·
Registered
04 TJ Sport / 5.3LS / RS5000X / 3.73
456 Posts
If this is stumping you, I suggest you take it to a shop.

You wont find this in a coolant schematic because the elbow is directly cast in with the whole timing cover (← HINT)

Otherwise, its just the coolant fill / test point. Unthread it, re-seal the threads and reinstall. Done.

10 minutes and a few bucks for sealer.

Oh, also.......

Font Darkness Number Screenshot Event

Sorry, not an artsy type.

Reactions: HuntinForDeer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well heck, I figured it might be that simple - but thought there might be an o-ring or also possibly a gasket, just didn't want to take it apart if there was anything requiring waiting on a part. I can handle taking the torx bolt out and putting some thread sealer on it lol. Thanks for the verification though.

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
The screw in the top of the pipe highlighted in red is identified as the air bleed in the cooling section of the KJ FSM. In the cooling section of the parts list the screw is identified as SCREW not serviced, meaning it isnt available separately. No O-ring or any other seal is shown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You guys were all correct - except for someone that decided to bring up the keep it simple stupid comment "KISS". I've lifted mine - replaced both diffs - stuck a v-8 in it, put lockers both ends. Done it all solo. Just was looking for opinions on something I didn't have experience with. Thanks to those of you that gave constructive insights it's now fixed, took 5 minutes. And this was my sisters vehicle that I knew absolutely nothing about. Thanks for the help TheBoogieman.........................

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW - Jonny is also correct - schematics right. Except the schematics aren't right. Dunno why it would be an air bleed i'm not that educated but I'm a Wrangler guy not a Liberty driver. It wasn't a screw. It was a fairly large threaded Plug, think it was Torx 45 to remove it. Covered in Pfe no leak, sister said it smelled for a few days curing lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If this is stumping you, I suggest you take it to a shop.

You wont find this in a coolant schematic because the elbow is directly cast in with the whole timing cover (← HINT)

Otherwise, its just the coolant fill / test point. Unthread it, re-seal the threads and reinstall. Done.

10 minutes and a few bucks for sealer.

Oh, also.......

View attachment 4132348

Sorry, not an artsy type.
Maybe not an artsy type but maybe a bit of ahole in you..................

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanna say something right now because i'm fking pissed at some of these "suggestions". Has this forum degraded since I was last on below the point of everyone helping each other with builds and/or just Jeepish or even vehicle help? It used to be so much more but some of you sound so - much like jerks on this simple single little thread. There is NO CALL for TRYING to make someone feel stupid for asking a flipping question on a forum full of people that are supposed to be "friends" and generally looking for some even vague pointers with something they aren't familiar with.. ~Stepping off the podium~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts