Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is heaven to me:

but I'm scared by the bad reputation of Chrysler in terms of build quality, and that if you own a Jeep you have to be able to fix it yourself on the trail. Is this true or it's legend?

Registered
This is heaven to me:

but I'm scared by the bad reputation of Chrysler in terms of build quality, and that if you own a Jeep you have to be able to fix it yourself on the trail. Is this true or it's legend?
Late post, but IMHO if it is brand new and you're not wheeling it like a stupid newbie beating on it, then it should be a non-issue as far as breaking things. If you modify it and tackle hard rated trails, then you should be prepared to be able to do some 'general' repairs.

I would also get an auto. 馃槑

Reactions: Kev M

Registered
This is heaven to me:

I run a lot of trails and have for decades. Jeeps do break< new old wont matter. Can you fix it? Is this even a reality question?

Fact is i lost count of how many breakdown recoveries i have been on from short trails that tend to close to stuff to trails you break out there its days for parts.

I can share one of the latest on a new JLUR that owner had maybe few months. 37s and lift. Said he was not new to off road but i think perhaps not Rocks. Any way I lead Rubicon every year in our club. some years we get 10 jeeps to go do it some years its Just me and the wife and dogs. To me its just a camping tripe with some rock. I can run from Wentworth Spings to say Rubicon springs in a day and be there with hours of day light left to set up camp. But in a group it may take all day just to get to say Buck Island. Its about the DRIVER at a point then the Jeep in rocks. A bad line will make hard much harder. You jeep is FULL of gear its heavy. THis where things go bad. He broke a front long side axle. These New Jeeps went back to a two piece axles and a CAD. Its a week spot for on 37s. Now i carrry axles in my jeep and other stuff but they will not fit a JL only JKR's. He had to 3x4 it and it was hard on that 70K jeep got a bit dented and abused. Another jeep ripped the front trackbar off the Axle. Two other breaks as well a rad exploded on the way in on 4.0 fixed at airport flats......Jeepers can fix it or get it out on a trailer. Depend on who you jeep with. We use batteries and cables to weld if none has a porta welder. Jeeping you need a lot of skills sets or plane to get stranded. Nwer they are they harder then can be to fix.

3 years ago Rubiicon trail again a new JK forget the year was like a 18 or so. Fist they thought dead battery . they jumped it and it would not start. They dragged to Rubicon springs and had a Tech come in From Tahoe. No joy. No what need to have dealer do a Computer fix. Soooo they tried to drag it out with two buggies and they could not get up Cadillac hill. Called in the Unimog dragged his ars righ to tahoe. Dealer said it had went ito a security mode when the battery was down and the jumped? no idea. Mine died and jumped and was fine its a 12...

Registered
This is heaven to me:

You don't say what model of JL you're driving. Nor exactly what kind of driving you want to do. The fact is that if you spend a lot of time off of graded roads, especially if you tackle rough, rocky trails like the Rubicon, for which the model is named, you'll likely break something sooner or later. If you want to drive crazy-fast on really rough roads, that event will come sooner rather than later. Jeeps are also among the most customizable - repairable vehicles you can have. If you are actually "afraid" of Chrysler build quality, there is an immense after market for toughened replacements and customizations. That said, the build quality of various makers is a lot more similar than enthusiasts are likely to want to believe. Listening to complaints is a lot like taking one-star and five-star reviews on Amazon seriously. A lot of the one-stars failed to read the manual, or are functionally illiterate, while the fives just received their order and really happy about how cool "it" is.

The Wrangler JKs and JLs come "trail-rated" off the factory floor. The production models (not every vehicle) have been tested for several criteria critical to off-road driving. These are the guys that test the typical build, and determine if it is "trail-rated": Nevada Automotive Test Center. NAC is not a Chrysler affiliate, and tests all sorts of equipment including military vehicles for the ability to handle difficult surfaces and terrain. That badge doesn't mean you're Wrangler can't be toughened up, but ... Even the toughest builds will break when a driver tackles an approach they either shouldn't, or simply take the wrong angle negotiating one.

Registered
I don鈥檛 understand why in such a car keyless start? In my opinion, this makes a particular car not so solid.
Believing that's a problem is the problem.

I'm so pissed my JKU couldn't be ordered with push start. A key is such a stupid and unnecessary thing today (opinion from a tech with nearly 30 years in the repair industry).

OP - not sure what you're worried about. Modern vehicles, the worst, are gonna last 100k with little worry. New vehicles have warranties. That said, as someone who has owned more manuals than autos, the Jeep manual is borderline horrible and I sometimes regret ordering my JKUS with it. I WILL definitely get an auto on the next one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts