Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to confirm that I have the correct fluid for the transfer case. It is a 97 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2liter, V8, quadra-trac, 249 transfer case, 4wd. From 2:23 of the below video, I inferred that I need Mopar 5016796AC also known as NV245/NV247/NV249 Transfer Case Lubricant. And, I wanted to confirm that ATF+4 is NOT what I am supposed to use in the transfer-case (even though my local dealer told me that is what I should use).

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
You can use any ATF you like in a 231, 241, 242, 249. Usually it's a good idea to use the same ATF as you do in the main transmission - which would be ATF+4 in these.

Certain Jeep transfer cases like the 247 or 245 require a special fluid, which is fairly expensive compared to the ATF. IMHO, there is no point in using that special fluid in a 249 which does not need it. Waste of money..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use any ATF you like in a 231, 241, 242, 249. Usually it's a good idea to use the same ATF as you do in the main transmission - which would be ATF+4 in these.

Certain Jeep transfer cases like the 247 or 245 require a special fluid, which is fairly expensive compared to the ATF. IMHO, there is no point in using that special fluid in a 249 which does not need it. Waste of money..
The vid seems to say that ATF+4 is for the Selec-Trac and the 5016796AC for the Quad-Trac. Since mine is Quad-Trac, I thought maybe the video might be right that I needed 5016796AC, but it sounds like he is full of it...

·
Hears the voices
16,609 Posts
Nope, video is giving the wrong information. The 249 Quadra-trac just needs the same fluid as the 231/242, which was ATF from the factory.

The 247 Quadra Trac II or Quadra Drive system do need that special fluid because of their gerotor pump mechanism, but that’s in the WJ.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
249 does not require a special fluid to be used. 249 has a viscous coupler which is a fully sealed unit with its own special fluid inside it. All other parts in a 249 that needs lubrication are just like in a 231 or 242, so ATF does the job.

247 and 245 are open bath designs with clutch- type 4wd systems, meaning they use the same fluid which lubricates other transfer case internal parts for the clutch operation. Normal ATF causes shatter and too much wear in the transfer case clutches -> they need a special fluid to prevent that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just added 1/3 quart of ATF+4 to the transfer case. So, it must have a leak; that's next on the 'to-do' list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts