Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Anyone know anyone within 1hour of Wichita, Kansas, who would be willing to do the 249to242 swap? (I don't really need to be lifting 90pound transfer cases right now.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Sorry I keep coming up with more questions. For the 242 case that I find (96-98), will I have to cut/shorten my rear-drive-shaft to get the 242-case to work ? (Assume the 242 has the same rear yoke type as the 249.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Yes the rear driveshaft will need to be shortened when going from 249 to 242.
That will be the case irregardless of whether the 242 has the same rear yoke type as the 249 ? (Might be a dumb question; if so, sorry about that.)
And, I guess it costs around $100 to $200 to have the shaft cut-and-balanced ?
part-b to question: if I take-home the drive-shaft of the 242-jeep, then I can do a rear-drive-shaft-swap instead of cutting/balancing?
part-c to question: how much extra labor-cost does it cost to swap the drive-shaft as well (from the donor vehicle)?
Glancing at some numbers:
$200 for the t-case plus $xx for the bezel.
$30 gasoline to go pick up the t-case and get it home...
$60 for the linkage from Mountain Vista
$400 shop-labor for the t-case swapping work plus another $200 to cut-and-balance the old drive-shaft [guesstimation].
That totals to:
$890 + $xx (where xx is the bezel cost)

Comparing to replacing the viscous-coupler [VC]:
$386-shipped from Summit Racing (new coupler)
$YYY labor to swap the VC
If $YYY is about $500, the costs of the two approaches will be about the same.....................
And here I thought I was gonna get it all done for about $600 tops....

·
Registered
24,113 Posts
The d44a pinion is about an inch longer than a d35c and the 242 rear shaft is longer than the 249.
Having the shsft corrected is 100-150 average. Just depends on the area and shop. Mine was done same day for 150.
It would be a lot cheaper if you could get a couple of buddies to help. It's really not difficult at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,113 Posts
I have to agree with Polka. Swapping a transfer case is a very simple process and can be done in an afternoon. The biggest PITA is the top nut or two holding the t-case to the trans.
Yeah I made a shorty wrench for that one.
You probably don't have to if you lower everything but I was too lazy and cutting a wrench was easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts