Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

64262 Views 196 Replies 63 Participants Last post by  little_Jeep
So here's my story. I was out playing around in puddles...really nothing big at all. On my way out I made one final run, a little water splashed on the hook and the engine died. I still have the dealer plates on her and they towed me, after my friends got me out of the water, to the dealership. I've read some of the threads and seen some people say that it was covered by Jeep for the repairs. I have a video of my final death run and it shows I was not exceeding the limits of "the most capable offroad vehicle". She's a stock JK Rubi and can climb anything I point her at...water seems to be an issue. I would love to hear any thoughts on this, what it could be, best wat to prevent it (what is the best snorkel?) and if anyone has had this happen and had it covered by warranty I'd really love to hear from you so I can have a little ammo when I go in to fight them.
101 - 120 of 197 Posts

· Registered
6,510 Posts
i just watched the vid, idk that seems like the jk should be fine, i got a 4cyl yj and i blast through water up to my bumper at easily twice that fast and have never had issues

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Yes, but the point is that his JK is not fine and that the dealer is refusing to warrant it.... Maybe they should watch their own promo vids...

· Premium Member
12,778 Posts
I can not believe that your jeep died doing that. It didn't even look close to being too fast to me. I've seen way worse entries, in way deeper water. I agree, the jeep commercials show a bigger splash. Good luck getting it fixed.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I was thinking I was not going too fast either. I am dealing with the insurance agency right now and discussing a Hemi swap. I'm also talking to a local shop that can do it to get a price quote. AEV is wanting 23K after I ship it to them. I can't quite justify that. I am going to go to the dealer once more with some of the videos they show and present my case one more time. After that I guess the only thing I can do, besides contact the main offices is to help out other people to avoid this exact thing from happening to them.

· Premium Member
12,778 Posts
I was thinking I was not going too fast either. I am dealing with the insurance agency right now and discussing a Hemi swap. I'm also talking to a local shop that can do it to get a price quote. AEV is wanting 23K after I ship it to them. I can't quite justify that. I am going to go to the dealer once more with some of the videos they show and present my case one more time. After that I guess the only thing I can do, besides contact the main offices is to help out other people to avoid this exact thing from happening to them.
You could try another dealer too. A second opinion on what's wrong with it is not a bad idea.

· Registered
2005 LJ
677 Posts
Same thing happened to my friends Rubicon. This is what he did. Cleaned everything up then took it to a Jeep dealership after it rained and said he hit a puddle while driving. It ended up going through his car insurance and not the fault of Jeep or any warranty issue. His car insurance paid for a NEW engine without any questions and he only had to pay the deductible.
Is there another Jeep dealership in town?

· Registered
6,716 Posts
Same thing happened to my friends Rubicon. This is what he did. Cleaned everything up then took it to a Jeep dealership after it rained and said he hit a puddle while driving. It ended up going through his car insurance and not the fault of Jeep or any warranty issue. His car insurance paid for a NEW engine without any questions and he only had to pay the deductible.
Is there another Jeep dealership in town?
I am lost by this line of thinking. If warranty doesn't cover it, warranty doesn't cover it... Dealer doesn't make the rules. Getting a second opinion on the damage is never a bad idea. However, if you are going to file an insurance claim, you can be fairly confident that the insurance company is not going to pay to replace/rebuild an engine until they know that is what is needed. The REAL question is, do you feel confident with this dealer's ability to correctly fix your Jeep as you are going to have to live with it and this dealer once the repairs are done.

· Registered
6,716 Posts
Yes, but the point is that his JK is not fine and that the dealer is refusing to warrant it.... Maybe they should watch their own promo vids...
Like I said, I'm watching this discussion on another forum as well. It does seem that I have heard more about Jeepers with hydro locked engines since the JK's have been out than I ever did in the past. The fact than a TJ or YJ owner did this or that, isn't an issue. We are talking about JK's. Why are so many JK's being hydro locked? It could be new inexperienced off-road drivers, it could be the differences in air box location and design, or it could be a combination of issues. One item discussed on the other forum is that the JK engine is not a Jeep engine. It is a mini van engine placed in a Jeep. I don't know much about the JK's. but I know that if I am trail guiding a group, I want to know more about these JK's and the hydro lock issue before doing a water crossing.

· Registered
1,962 Posts
wonder if something like this would of prevented this

Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Air Filters & Intake Systems

Just need a material that will let air through but prevent splashes from soaking the intake. Might not be a bad idea to wrap something like this over the intake opening where the water would most likely splash in.

· Registered
6,716 Posts

Just need a material that will let air through but prevent splashes from soaking the intake. Might not be a bad idea to wrap something like this over the intake opening where the water would most likely splash in.
Im gonna put a cheesecloth over my intake!
Now you guys are thinking....... Here is a question for all JK owners or others who feel that JK's may have a problem with design / location of the airbox.

**IF** this appears to be an airbox design/location issue, is there a cheap / easy modification (short of snorkel) that can be done to make JK less hydro-lock prone?

· Registered
6,716 Posts

This pre filter is designed for a cold air intake system, not the OEM airbox, right? However, it might be able to be modified to fit over the opening of the stock airbox on a JK.

On a TJ, YJ, etc., nothing short of a snorkel beats the factory airbox as far as overall protection of the intake system. However, this maybe old school thinking when it comes to a JK?

· Registered
625 Posts
Even if it does start, it doesn't mean it hasn't received a death blow.
Oh i agree... I would do my best to check everything out for signs of damage, maybe even drop the pan and see...

at the least, draining the oil will let you know if water actually got in the engine or not, right?

If the inside of the air box is dry and there is no signs of sand/mud remnants, then you have a pretty decent indication that water didn't get in through the intake.

I bet we are just going to find out that this was an electrical issue.

· Registered
2,783 Posts
Like I said, I'm watching this discussion on another forum as well. It does seem that I have heard more about Jeepers with hydro locked engines since the JK's have been out than I ever did in the past. The fact than a TJ or YJ owner did this or that, isn't an issue. We are talking about JK's. Why are so many JK's being hydro locked? It could be new inexperienced off-road drivers, it could be the differences in air box location and design, or it could be a combination of issues. One item discussed on the other forum is that the JK engine is not a Jeep engine. It is a mini van engine placed in a Jeep. I don't know much about the JK's. but I know that if I am trail guiding a group, I want to know more about these JK's and the hydro lock issue before doing a water crossing.
Gotcha, didn't realize that JK's were running different engines....
The air intake does seem to be in an iffy spot, seems to me that if water were to be forced up against the hood, it would actually channel it right to the air intake....

· Registered
2,783 Posts
This pre filter is designed for a cold air intake system, not the OEM airbox, right? However, it might be able to be modified to fit over the opening of the stock airbox on a JK.

On a TJ, YJ, etc., nothing short of a snorkel beats the factory airbox as far as overall protection of the intake system. However, this maybe old school thinking when it comes to a JK?
I think the snorkel is really the best solution here, even the CAI sleeve doesn't really solve the problem if it's swamped. It might keep you from destroying your engine though...i"m leaning towards a snorkel, because I think they look cool!!!

· Registered
8,696 Posts
I am lost by this line of thinking. If warranty doesn't cover it, warranty doesn't cover it... Dealer doesn't make the rules. .
True....................

Right out of the warranty manual for your JK.

3.2 Environmental Factors Not Covered

Your warranties don't cover damage caused by
environmental factors such as airborne fallout, bird
droppings, insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt,
ocean spray, acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your
warranties cover damage caused by hailstorms,
windstorms, tornadoes, sandstorms, lightning, floods,
and earthquakes.
Clearly stated.

· Registered
2,783 Posts
True....................

Right out of the warranty manual for your JK.

Clearly stated.
Not really in this case....the dealer does make the rules to a large extent. Jeep does not have a hard fast pass/fail criteria for warranty repairs, just like they don't for mods causing issues. In reality, the dealer can pretty much warranty anything they want. It just depends on how they feel about you, the day, if they argued with the g/f that morning, the phase of the moon etc....

101 - 120 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.