Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
81 - 100 of 197 Posts

· Registered
524 Posts
I know everything is bigger in Texas but in North Carolina thats not considered a puddle!

I have been thru crossings that deep before dozens of times with no problem. I guess it's just one of those things! Sorry your engine is toast

· Rockbiter
1,888 Posts
I to, would like a snorkel. But I also want to retain the stock airbox and filter. I always regretted the day that I stepped from stock to a snorkel on my TJ. I went with Volant because they included an enclosed airbox of their own, I just was never satisfied with the cone filter. I also hated how the darn thing always seemed to be in the way. If I wanted a light bar or a rack, forget it, wouldn't fit anymore. I am trying to come up with my own solution to this problem, but it's tough.

· Registered
512 Posts
@washi, that is why I am going with the AEV. It mates to the stock air box. There are several high flow air filters that are direct fit for the OEM filter as well. so you can gain air flow without replacing the stock air box.

· Registered
524 Posts
I to, would like a snorkel. But I also want to retain the stock airbox and filter. I always regretted the day that I stepped from stock to a snorkel on my TJ. I went with Volant because they included an enclosed airbox of their own, I just was never satisfied with the cone filter. I also hated how the darn thing always seemed to be in the way. If I wanted a light bar or a rack, forget it, wouldn't fit anymore. I am trying to come up with my own solution to this problem, but it's tough.
i have the same problem. I have a Kargomaster Congo Rack and run a snorkel would require some presidential modifications.

· Registered
625 Posts
ok, I watched the video a couple of times. It looks like the first puddle was the culprit (IMO). It looks like you hit it way too fast. So have you or the dealership had a chance to look into it? I would be really surprised if you actually did a large amount of internal damage. Like others mentioned, if it truly was "hydroLOCKED", you wouldn't even be able to try to crank it over. It is possible that you have a wet air filter that is choking out the air flow or that you got some sort of electrical component wet that shorted out. Possibly in or around your coil pack.

So have you heard anything from the dealership? Did you open up your air box to take a look inside?

· Registered
6,716 Posts
ok, I watched the video a couple of times. It looks like the first puddle was the culprit (IMO). It looks like you hit it way too fast. So have you or the dealership had a chance to look into it? I would be really surprised if you actually did a large amount of internal damage. Like others mentioned, if it truly was "hydroLOCKED", you wouldn't even be able to try to crank it over. It is possible that you have a wet air filter that is choking out the air flow or that you got some sort of electrical component wet that shorted out. Possibly in or around your coil pack.

So have you heard anything from the dealership? Did you open up your air box to take a look inside?
Without knowing what damage was found, this is hard to say. It only takes a small amount of water to cause a rod, valve, or other internal part to bend. It doesn't need to break to cause the death of an engine. A little water can cause the piston to get ****eyed in the cylinder, causing a scar in the wall. Once this happens, the death of the engine is just a matter of time. Of course, the OP would be happy if his engine isn't damaged.....

· Registered
640 Posts
I would have never shown that video to the service manager at a Jeep dealership.

· Registered
6,716 Posts
We were discussing this issue on another forum and wonder if the airbox placement on the JK is just enough forward from where the airbox is on a TJ that it causes a problem. Now keep in mind, none of us own a JK, so we are using a photo of the JK engine compartment for the basis of our discussion. Where is the opening in the JK airbox?

· Registered
6,716 Posts
pretty much right under the passenger hood latch. the stock opening is shaped to match the contour of the hood in that area.
So in your opinion, does its placement make getting water inside the airbox easier, harder, or about the same as a TJ? Is it possible that water is hitting fan, fan is tossing water onto bottomside of hood then running in the airbox, or do you feel problems are generally caused by other factors?

· Registered
73 Posts
Reading this thread I'm thinking I was lucky on the day that my avatar pic was taken!
(and by the way that was at the Jeep Owners playground on the rocks and road tour)

· Registered
2,783 Posts
I was just on Jeep's website again, the promo video that they play when you click on the "capability" link shows several Jeeps throwing the exact same amount of water, if not more, over, and over again...
Might be a little ammo if someone were to screencap it, or link to it.

Not sure how long this link it going to be good, but here it is..

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/trail_rated/

Please explain to me what part of that is as slow as possible, but as fast as neccesary? I call BS.

81 - 100 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.