Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

64310 Views 196 Replies 63 Participants Last post by  little_Jeep
So here's my story. I was out playing around in puddles...really nothing big at all. On my way out I made one final run, a little water splashed on the hook and the engine died. I still have the dealer plates on her and they towed me, after my friends got me out of the water, to the dealership. I've read some of the threads and seen some people say that it was covered by Jeep for the repairs. I have a video of my final death run and it shows I was not exceeding the limits of "the most capable offroad vehicle". She's a stock JK Rubi and can climb anything I point her at...water seems to be an issue. I would love to hear any thoughts on this, what it could be, best wat to prevent it (what is the best snorkel?) and if anyone has had this happen and had it covered by warranty I'd really love to hear from you so I can have a little ammo when I go in to fight them.
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

· Registered
17,007 Posts
Here's an example of how deep I've been. It was mud, mind you, not water. And my goal was to keep the "wave" of mud out in front of me. I did not race through it. More of a fast crawl, if that makes sense...

And to prove I didn't lock the engine, I've also attached a picture taken about an hour later, with the mud still there.

By the way, I'm not doing it again - took way too long to clean it up.

Attachments

· Registered
6,716 Posts
Here's an example of how deep I've been. It was mud, mind you, not water. And my goal was to keep the "wave" of mud out in front of me. I did not race through it. More of a fast crawl, if that makes sense...

And to prove I didn't lock the engine, I've also attached a picture taken about an hour later, with the mud still there.

Notice that your mud line is LOWER than the bottom of your headlights. This is IMPORTANT as the airbox sits just slightly higher than this point.

· Registered
4,967 Posts
I saw this on Jalopnik, and I thought that water looked familiar. I used to live in San Angelo, and used to play out at Twin Buttes all the time.

Should have bought a Bronco. ;)

Looks like the water wasn't as deep when you went through it. Either way, there is no reason your "offroad" Jeep should hydrolock after going through that. That is sad.

Same path:
It's hard to tell, but none of those videos show any of those vehicles plowing through like he did. Sure, they went fast through shallow water. The nose of the Jeep went down, then he continued to plow through the water which was clearly going all over the place because it was deep!

I wish I had a video of my friends lifted Bronco getting stuck, me pulling them out, then me driving through it stock with no issues :rofl:

You can have your ugly bronco with it's wanna-be 4x4 :laugh:

· Registered
337 Posts
JKtester, maybe I missed it but how many times did you go through that before it died?
comparing your video to the advertisement it should be covered.

good luck.

:wave:

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Sorry for the delay everyone. I ended up going on Christmas vacation and was still dealing with engine issues. So here are the results of this whole thing.

Insurance replaced the whole engine for me for a small $500 fee. It took them a few weeks to finally get back to me and finish all of the repairs. As soon as I picked it up I went about 15 miles and the check engine light came on. I called the dealer and they said that it was probably a computer issue and not to worry about it. So I drove it over the weekend (I had to go out of town) and brought it back on that monday. They took a look at it and I made an appointment for the upcoming Friday. I showed up and they said they couldn't see me so I had to come back the next day. That's exactly what I did. I told them that this was my daily driver and I needed it back by the end of the day. They told me it wouldn't be a problem. So evening comes and I have no calls from them. I finally call them back and (You'll never guess) it won't be ready that day. So...since they're closed Sunday I'm out of a vehicle. The mechanic came in on Sunday to take a closer look to see what the problem was and found that the oil pump had locked up and had basically destroyed the cam shaft. So I get back in touch with my insurance to get me a rental car and tell them that they need to send the adjuster BACK out to see what the heck was going on. That week rolled by. I was told I would have it by Wednesday. Wednesday comes...guess...yeah, no car. I made a meeting with the general manager and informed him of what was going on. After he yelled at everyone for making him and the business look bad I heard from my insurance that they are ordering a whole new engine...yes...2nd new engine and less than 2k miles. So they all work really hard to get everything done after they get yelled at. I was supposed to leave on vacation on that Friday. The GM told them to have it ready by then. So while they installed the new new engine they were also supposed to install the leather that I ordered (It was supposed to come ON the Jeep). The leather installer did not get done until Monday evening. I told them that if it was not done in the morning they could keep it and I would be expecting a call from the GM. I got a call Tuesday morning telling me it was ready and the mechanic was out test driving it as we spoke. I went to pick it up only to find out that not everything from the adjuster had been filed with insurance therefore I could not take the Jeep because they had not been paid. 2 hours on the phone and 4700 out of pocket (Insurance paid me back a few days later) I turned in the rental and headed back to the Jeep. I began driving out of the parking lot and, yep, again you guessed it, the check engine light came on. I didn't even make it around the dealership parking lot and I was pulling back into the service area. After some choice words that I can't say I regret they hooked it up and told me it was going to need a new PCM that would not be available until Thursday. Again, they told me that this was a computer issue and was safe to drive. I was heading to New Mexico and figured if I could just make it there I'd take it to another dealer. I made it, took it to another dealer and they informed me the PCM was fine but the cam shaft sensor needed to be replaced and did it under warrantee.

Bottom line, one puddle, 2 engines and a hell of a lot of pain. It has been in the shop longer than it has been with me since I bought it. It's working well now and life has started to become a little more busy keeping me off the trails and my fear of water is keeping me out of the puddles.

· Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Glad it is all taken care of. Stay away from that dealer's service department... sounds like crappy work being done. Now it is time to enjoy the Jeep and get a snorkel :)

· Registered
524 Posts

Looks like you gave your jeep a beard!

181 - 197 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.