Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hydrolocked my engine with dealer plates still on...

64262 Views 196 Replies 63 Participants Last post by  little_Jeep
So here's my story. I was out playing around in puddles...really nothing big at all. On my way out I made one final run, a little water splashed on the hook and the engine died. I still have the dealer plates on her and they towed me, after my friends got me out of the water, to the dealership. I've read some of the threads and seen some people say that it was covered by Jeep for the repairs. I have a video of my final death run and it shows I was not exceeding the limits of "the most capable offroad vehicle". She's a stock JK Rubi and can climb anything I point her at...water seems to be an issue. I would love to hear any thoughts on this, what it could be, best wat to prevent it (what is the best snorkel?) and if anyone has had this happen and had it covered by warranty I'd really love to hear from you so I can have a little ammo when I go in to fight them.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8,696 Posts
All you really need to know is that they advertise water fording capability. Some lawyers can sue them for false advertising. I have seen it happen with a few land rovers and LR upgraded clients to the tricked out model version free of charge. Go to court and they loose.

Jeep.com:
"Hit that riverbed with confidence. Trail Rated® Jeep® 4x4s feature additional electrical and body sealing, along with a high air intake location for optimum water fording capability. Note: Do not attempt water fording unless depth is known to be less than 19 inches."
Your speed has alot to do with fording water,it's common sense which seems like some of you do not have alot of.Sure those big splashes look cool but is it really worth paying for a new engine?

I've been in water to almost my hood line,nice and steady speed of about 5 mph kept the water away from my air inlet.Just got to use common sense.

If you want to play in the water time to actually make a deep water fording kit,expect upwards of $5000+.When properly done you can ford deep water with ease,and if you want to learn how to properly ford deep water join the Marines and become a mechanic or driver and you will get tought the proper way to ford 60" of water in HMMWV,it's kinda fun but you will get wet.

· Registered
8,696 Posts
To answer a few questions the water was probably not deeper than 19 inches, I didn't stop to measure after it happened. A 2wd F-150 went through just before I did and had no issues. As far as the dealer, they are sticking with the "It's not our fault" line. Yes, I did take a trail rated vehicle through a reasonable puddle at a reasonable speed, it is my fault for using an off-road vehicle...forgive me...off-road! I went all the way to the general manager showing the video and even they said it should be covered. But water in the engine, no matter what...is apparently a user error. I called my insurance company and without a blink they said they'd take care of me. They asked me to hold onto the video because it seems like something they would go after Jeep for and get me my deductible back. It's only a $100 out of pocket engine so I can't complain too much. Thank god for insurance. JK owners...buy a snorkel...even for splashes. That is going to be my first purchase as soon as I get her back. Any ideas on the "best" snorkel kit?
The case will be short lived as "owner induced" accident will be found and not a manufacturer defect.Just more $$$ down the drain making everyones insurance rates go up and the price of new vehicles to also go up.

Thank you

· Registered
8,696 Posts
That was helpful.:rolleyes: Hopefully you'll never get in an accident and use your insurance to cover the repairs. Imagine how that will raise everyones rates!! Get a grip, I doubt the OP set out to lock up his engine so he could raise the cost of insurance and new cars nationwide. Clearly he accidentally locked up the engine on his JK and now he is using his insurance that he has probably been paying on for years.

Maybe someday we'll all be perfect like you.:hahaha:

Thank you
Insurance is there for those accidents,yes and have no issue when you actually have a accendent but when your isurance company is going after Jeep over a un-winable case it's just wasted money that all of us end up paying for in the end.

This was not a accident.

· Registered
8,696 Posts

If it wasn't an accident than what was it? You could call it stupid I guess but like I said I'm sure it wasn't his intent to trash his engine. Most accidents on the roads are caused when someone does something "stupid". In this case the act of stupidity only damaged his vehicle.:thumbsup:
Lack of common sense which is "stupid" in simple terms.

· Registered
8,696 Posts
I am lost by this line of thinking. If warranty doesn't cover it, warranty doesn't cover it... Dealer doesn't make the rules. .
True....................

Right out of the warranty manual for your JK.

3.2 Environmental Factors Not Covered

Your warranties don't cover damage caused by
environmental factors such as airborne fallout, bird
droppings, insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt,
ocean spray, acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your
warranties cover damage caused by hailstorms,
windstorms, tornadoes, sandstorms, lightning, floods,
and earthquakes.
Clearly stated.

· Registered
8,696 Posts
Not really in this case....the dealer does make the rules to a large extent. Jeep does not have a hard fast pass/fail criteria for warranty repairs, just like they don't for mods causing issues. In reality, the dealer can pretty much warranty anything they want. It just depends on how they feel about you, the day, if they argued with the g/f that morning, the phase of the moon etc....
That is false..................

If a dealership does a repair under warranty they have to submit a claim to Chrysler to get paid back,they also must keep the part(s) for something like 90 days as Chrysler sometimes will call for that failed part to inspect.Also the regional reps like to grap the warranty claim paperwork and go through the dealers warranty parts storage room often when they show up unexpected.On something major like a engine a regional rep will be involved and they are very strict and do not work for any dealership but for Chrysler and if they say no then it's no go on the warranty.So basically if the dealership has any doubt that the claim will be denied they either get a regional rep involved or deny it if it is a high dollar repair like a engine,if it's a $20 part they will just replace it and not worry.

· Registered
8,696 Posts
Not to be argumentative but it's absolutely 100% true. I'm not arguing the semantics, I'm stating a fact.
It's all in the way the service manager decides to (or doesn't) write up the failure. I have personally had service managers tell me point blank that they will warrant items that did not fail under warranty. That's one reason I keep going back to the same VW dealer. The service manager is awesome. So far that has brought me back for three vehicles. Treating your customers well pays big dividends.
If small items they will,large items they will not.A good service manager will spend shop money to fix small items on there dime to keep repeat customers happy and coming back.In the long run they will make more money off of you then you think.

But.....................

Any service manager would look twice if a vehicle that was just sold at his/her dealership less then 30 days ago come back with a hydrolocked engine.

That is very different then giving a customer a free $50 part,a $5000+ engine is not a give away for free item and is not a good way to run a shop.

· Registered
8,696 Posts
Okay, I'll give you that one.
I had my turbo replaced (3500$) and it was my wife's fault, she drove into a curb. The SM covered us..... There were numerous other times that weren't that major...
I never really considered Chryslers current position, that will probably play a huge role in what they're allowed to do, or maybe the point that they begin to question claims....

Maybe it's not right, or economically correct for the corp...but it brought us back twice...
And you got to think that Fiat is controlling it now and they are very strict on warranty claims.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.