Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Howell TBI Kit? or recommend something better? Since that might be my route to go with. I wanted to go with the Holley Sniper EFI then add the hyperpark distributor, but living here in California is stopping me from that :frown2:

- David

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
Hundreds of threads on here for Howell, try the search function :smile2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have heard really good things about the Howell kit and it is already CARB approved. My Brother recommended that for my 88 but it also needs a rebuild as it is puking oil out the dipstick. I noticed the home made aftermarket air cleaner had a pretty good sized gap in it allowing the very dusty Nevada air to wear out the rings in only 230,000 miles. I ran the numbers and decided it was cheaper to get a donor for the driveline rather than to replace peugeot transmission, rebuild the 4.2, and get the Howell kit.

If I am not mistaken the Howell kit was based on the performance fuel injection kit designed by Witte and is an upgrade. Here is the utube video installation instructions for performance.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't have the CA version but I did install the standard version with minimal tools and knowledge. You can't really mess it up. Simple system that will bring joy to your jeep.

If you are in cali, it is your only choice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard really good things about the Howell kit and it is already CARB approved. My Brother recommended that for my 88 but it also needs a rebuild as it is puking oil out the dipstick. I noticed the home made aftermarket air cleaner had a pretty good sized gap in it allowing the very dusty Nevada air to wear out the rings in only 230,000 miles. I ran the numbers and decided it was cheaper to get a donor for the driveline rather than to replace peugeot transmission, rebuild the 4.2, and get the Howell kit.

If I am not mistaken the Howell kit was based on the performance fuel injection kit designed by Witte and is an upgrade. Here is the utube video installation instructions for performance.

Thanks Jeepereno! a youtube video is something I'm always looking forward to get an idea how it works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have the CA version but I did install the standard version with minimal tools and knowledge. You can't really mess it up. Simple system that will bring joy to your jeep.

If you are in cali, it is your only choice.
Thanks Weapon! Seems like the Howell is really worth getting. Thought It wasn't good when I read somewhere that It's an old kit and doesn't compare to something new like Holley's EFI

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Thanks Weapon! Seems like the Howell is really worth getting. Thought It wasn't good when I read somewhere that It's an old kit and doesn't compare to something new like Holley's EFI
The main difference between systems is the programmability. It is the reason some like iPhones and other like android. The howell systems just works, but you cannot do much else with it. If you like to tinker then the sniper is the the one but since you are in cali and their epa is insane, you only have one choice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the CA Howell system on my and love it...one of the best mods i've put in. As others have said it's the only CA one available. The MOPAR EFI system used to be the other option but they discontinued it. I'm sure you can still pick one up used. I actually ordered that one to begin with and it got back ordered, then discontinued, and I didn't want a used one.

The Howell is a pretty "easy" install, but it can be intimidating if you have a CA carb setup because there is a ton of wires to cut out from the stock setup. Not a big deal if you take your time and double check everything before you start cutting.

No "tuning" on the CA one as mentioned. The sniper looks pretty nice and who knows...it kind would be hidden under the stock stuff and it would probably get overlooked. But who's really got the money to test that theory with the smog nazis. I do run an HEI and non-stock intake on mine and don't have too much trouble getting mine smogged.

Reactions: Rondawg80

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I have had the JP-1 CA emissions Howell TBI kit installed in my 84 /7 since 2003. I needed to pass emissions in Maryland because it was my daily driver. I have since gotten historic tags and no longer need to pass emissions. I love my Howell kit, my jeep always starts, I don't have to dink with the carb, it runs great.... I somehow damaged two Carter YFA carburetors in two years by twisting the main butterfly shaft (Guess my lead foot did the damage), the butterfly wouldn't close all the way so I got stuck with a really fast idle.
The only drawback was the air cleaner, the stock one wouldn't fit with the 5-1/8" TBI opening. I was stuck using that GM 9" chrome one with the K&N filter Howell suggested. I hated that air cleaner, the valve cover connection on the bottom is just a 3/4" nipple. I had problems getting the hose on and when I finally did, it wasn't filtered and would spew oily residue into the TBI. It always looked dirty and was impossible to keep fingerprint free. I threw out my original cleaner (like an idiot) after the install and everything worked as it should. I recently decided to modify a stock Jeep I6 non-power brake cleaner by cutting the small 2-5/8 opening out and grafting the bottom of a early 90s GM van air cleaner on instead. I much prefer the stock look. If you have power brakes on your CJ, Dan over at DoubleDFab.com can make you an adapter so you can keep the original triangle shaped one. (I think it would restrict the airflow but I'm not completely sure).
JM2₵ Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm almost done with the Howell kit install. I'm ready to charge the battery and oil prime the engine before trying to start it. The kit is pretty easy and has mostly good instructions (B+W pictures). There are plenty of old threads here and google is your friend. There are some pics of how I did things, check PoolGuyMark on IG. Good Luck

Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking at the installation manual for the Howell system NOTE: TO BE FULLY EMISSION LEGAL, YOUR JEEP MUST HAVE A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING CATALYTIC CONVERTOR, Got it EGR VALVE Got it , CANISTER AND PURGE SYSTEM,Got it PCV VALVE,Got it But not sure if I have A VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR INCORPORATED INTO THE SPEEDOMETER DRIVE CABLE THAT TRANSMITS VEHICLE SPEED INFORMATION TO THE ECM. How can I check to see if I have this speed sensor?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
If you are planning on keeping your original cable driven speedometer, the speed sensor screws on in between the cable and transfer case. And yes, it is included in the JP-1 kit.

·
Registered
1984 CJ7, Shackle Reversal and Spring over lift, ARB lockers, Warn 8274, 33" Goodrich MTs
75 Posts
I have a Speedhut speedo which is GPS. There is no speedometer cable at this point. Can I still use the speed sensor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Speedhut speedo which is GPS. There is no speedometer cable at this point. Can I still use the speed sensor?
This is also something I'm wondering since I've been eyeing the Speedhut speedo. Also, does anyone know if you can use the check engine light on the speedo from Speedhut for the Howell kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking at the installation manual for the Howell system NOTE: TO BE FULLY EMISSION LEGAL, YOUR JEEP MUST HAVE A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING CATALYTIC CONVERTOR, Got it EGR VALVE Got it , CANISTER AND PURGE SYSTEM,Got it PCV VALVE,Got it But not sure if I have A VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR INCORPORATED INTO THE SPEEDOMETER DRIVE CABLE THAT TRANSMITS VEHICLE SPEED INFORMATION TO THE ECM. How can I check to see if I have this speed sensor?
Do you know if I can use a universal California legal Cat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 76 Posts