Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Hello

I have a 2012 Jeep wrangler and I plan on putting 37" tires and 4" lift. how will it be with 3.21 gear ration in a 6 speed manual??

Please let me know

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

I run 35's on my 2012 with 3.21 gears and its severely lacking on power. I can't imagine what 37's would do to your fuel economy and power. If you want to run 37's go with some 4.88 gears or even 5.13's.

The 3.6L has a TON of power compared to the 3.8L in the 07-11 but still not enough to push 37's at 65MPH down the highway at an economical or comfortable standpoint.

If you have any questions about gear ratios or anything else shoot me a PM and I can help you out. Our Jeep Experts are also here Monday-Friday from 9AM-6PM EST and their number is 800-988-4605 if you want to talk to someone directly.

-Zach

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would also think about up grading to a Dana 44 front and while you are doing this add lockers.

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
Haahaha wats the point of 37's only on a 4" lift. If your goin woth 37's dont cheat yourself and go with atleast a 6" lift. Otherwise you will never have flex
why?

my 3.5 lift on our Jk runs 35"s and has more than enough room to have 37"s. Tj and Jk are not the same. A Jk could run 37"s on no lift, very liitle trimed and NO flairs.

Flex unless limited by bind is regulated buy shock lenght and the bump stop period.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Thanks Zach

By chance do you know any one in Michigan that does re gearing?
Check with the guys in your local section of the forum. They know the area and all the shops around where you are. Who does good work and who to avoid. Who knows, you might also find some new wheelin buddies!

-Zach

·
SEMPER FIDELIS
1,381 Posts
Haahaha wats the point of 37's only on a 4" lift. If your goin woth 37's dont cheat yourself and go with atleast a 6" lift. Otherwise you will never have flex
...... you give TJ owners a bad name... even this guy might have done more research than you.. and he asked about 37's and 3.21's...my advice, read more and post less. thats what i do.

and..

go with atleast a 6" lift.
so, the minimum you would do is 6".. meaning that comfortably you would do more, like say 8"?

ditto

·
King of Macastan
6,207 Posts
I have 36" on waggy springs (nets @ 2" of lift) and I flex just fine on a YJ. I can side hill or slide sideways on an obstacle and not roll over, it is called LCOG.
I can get places and do things you can't.

·
Fish'n Fool
1,329 Posts
I don't know the "ratio" formula, but with that gear range and those tall tires, I would imagine 130mph wouldn't be difficult, just getting it off the line might be a strain.. ha..

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,732 Posts
I have a 2012 Jeep wrangler and I plan on putting 37" tires and 4" lift. how will it be with 3.21 gear ration in a 6 speed manual??
Mike, your question puts us in a small box with you only dealing with one aspect of a plan. I'm curious what your usage plan is for the Jeep on 37's. Just on-road use? If off-road, on what terrain? Basically, why are you thinking 37's?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts