Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I really enjoy road trips to different cities, meeting new people, experiencing new things and smell the roses. I am getting tired of tent camping, so I am thinking of removing the back seat and turning my jeep into a camper which includes a kitchen system and bed platform inside my jeep. Does anybody have an idea or made one before? How thick should Wood be for a bed frame? Should I upgrade my cooler to a portable refrigerator?

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,280 Posts
As you have an unlimited, there are pre-made roll out extension drawers you can buy that would turn into a kitchen. The top side produces a raised platform for an additional bed if required, or simply a rooftop platform and rooftop tent system would suffice leaving more internal space for vital storage.

Trekboxx is a company that comes to mind but there are multitudes if renditions.

Adding a cheap tailgate table is also beneficial to your desired goals.

Here is a DIY job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
During the past weekend:
1. I paint it with BEHR-Espresso to make it look clean and nice.

2. Cover the top with self adhesive carpet tile to protect the wood surface.

3. Made a couple wood blocks on the bottom to hold it in place and easy take-off.

4. Mounted Webost

Brown Tin Fluid Drink Liquid

Wood Table Rectangle Wall Hardwood

Wood Chair Rectangle Table Hardwood

Furniture Table Rectangle Wood Grey

Brown Wood Table Rectangle Flooring

Door Wood Fixture Grey Rectangle

·
Registered
241 Posts
Birch ply is much better than most plies. I used to build speakers and hated working with MDF, so we built with Baltic Birch, which was 9 ply or 13 ply but no voids. That stuff is great to work with and doesn't chip out when routing, etc. It is also super strong versus the weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Birch ply is much better than most plies. I used to build speakers and hated working with MDF, so we built with Baltic Birch, which was 9 ply or 13 ply but no voids. That stuff is great to work with and doesn't chip out when routing, etc. It is also super strong versus the weight.
I am glad to know that, which means I can do some off-road;)!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm partial to Alder, but that's because I used it for my cabinets at home. It's a bit softer, but as long as it doesn't take the hits, it should last. It also (at least locally) is available as a ply sheet as well as boards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts