Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
I ended up buying the nalin plates and 4x5.25 Polks just recently. I am new to installing car audio and I'm wondering what is the easiest way to wire these speakers. Snip the factory plug and solder to the posts on the Polks? Or use some other kind of connector?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
4x4Brit said:
I ended up buying the nalin plates and 4x5.25 Polks just recently. I am new to installing car audio and I'm wondering what is the easiest way to wire these speakers. Snip the factory plug and solder to the posts on the Polks? Or use some other kind of connector?

Thanks.
Whatever you feel comfortable with, I spliced in the connectors as shown on the pic above and then just slid then over the posts. Soldering is good idea but if you ever decide to remove them then you gotta break the connection.

I find the posts on the speakers sometimes are not very strong/heavy duty so breaking the post off trying to take wire off could cause some damage.

You can always solder the actual connector to the wire then still use connector over posts for easy removal down the road. At the end tho it's all your call :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
So ended up using female spade connectors crushed onto the wire after snipping the factory plug off. So far, so good. And like the previous poster, I also didn't have to cut anything. The Nalin adapters work nicely.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
02WranglerTJ said:
NIce write up! I got really lucky and had the 7 speaker system. I didn't even have to do the metal trimming, great fit!
7 speaker system makes quite a diff in the ti! Always thought about adding that sub in the console but never got around to it.

4x4Brit said:
So ended up using female spade connectors crushed onto the wire after snipping the factory plug off. So far, so good. And like the previous poster, I also didn't have to cut anything. The Nalin adapters work nicely.
Both you guys must have newer TJs then? I think pre 02 has to cut the dash part of like I showed.

Don't forget to add polyfill!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did this to my 00'TJ. It was tough cutting the braces until I remembered I had tin snips. Much much easier and no sparks or residue. I used some silicone between the speaker and mount to reduce the chance of vibration. I love these write ups. They make everything easier. Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
7 speaker system makes quite a diff in the ti! Always thought about adding that sub in the console but never got around to it.

Both you guys must have newer TJs then? I think pre 02 has to cut the dash part of like I showed.

Don't forget to add polyfill!!!
Correct. 1997-2002 require trimming of the subframe brace. 2003-2006 bolt on without modification.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Your goal is to break up the backwave of the speaker do enough to occupy the space behind the speaker (a lil different than packing a sub box) but loosely pushed in...not crammed in. It gets caught in the speaker basket and wiring so don worry about it falling out.

·
Banned
1,168 Posts
AK - did you use the same Polk Audio speakers as shown above?
Yup. With the MTX brackets it was a tight fit to the dash frame on the passenger side but I don't hear anything that sounds like it might have a problem with contact with the speaker surround. I didn't polyfil behind them, but I might do that as well as the sound bar sometime soon to see if it offers any more sound quality. I still have to order and install an amp to drive all the speakers (also have Polk shallow 6.5's in the sound bar. I suggest the standard 6.5's unless you run a subwoofer.) and install my Kenwood marine stereo, so I'll be running new speaker wires anyway. May as well get it all taken care of at once.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My 04 TJ came from the PO with Alpine SPS-510 5.25" coaxials front and rear. Better than stock but 87db rating :( I'd like to swap out for something a little more efficient but for now these will do.

I added polyfill front and rear. The problems is I don't get much sound out of the front speakers as oppose to the rear speakers mounted in the pods. Would an (small) enclosure up front make that much of a difference? :confused:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
More specifically the polyfill in this application is to lessen the chance that the sound from the rear of the speaker doesn't cancel out the sound from the front of the speaker. If you were able to completely "enclose" the rear of the speaker with fiberglass or something airtight you would get better bass and mid range.

You can test out the difference this makes with a home system easily. Simply reverse the wires on one of the speakers and you will know what is happening with the front speaker setup in a jeep.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
How much polyfill do you need?
I picked up a smaller sized pillow from Walmart cut it open. Didn't use all the polyfill either it just pushed it the back of the speakers until I noticed it was getting full.

Your goal is to break up the backwave of the speaker do enough to occupy the space behind the speaker (a lil different than packing a sub box) but loosely pushed in...not crammed in. It gets caught in the speaker basket and wiring so don worry about it falling out.
Exactly :thumbsup:

Great write up and good idea on the poly
Thanks! Glad it's helping others out. :cheers2:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Haven't done this yet but it's on the to do list. I'm interested to see what difference it makes.
I wish I would of taken a sound clip prior to polyfill and afterwards but I really didn't :(

But it just sounds deeper I know that from my previous speakers that didn't have anything back there. Plus for the $2 pillow I bought to rip the polyfill out of it it was worth it either way :highfive:

·
Banned
1,168 Posts
I just stuffed some polyfill behind my front speakers...didn't notice too much of a difference but it was an old pillow that was going in the trash anyway. :p And I'm sure driving it on the highway will make it more noticeable. I have another pillow waiting to be used to fill the soundbar as well.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Man this adapter sounds great. I'm extremely new to audio and I'm just plain not good at this stuff. What are some of the best 5.25" speakers? A lot of people in this thread have had to splice wires. Can you not get speakers that plug in?

How hard is it to get 6.25" speakers in the sounds bar? One said it was a pain in the *** but didn't go into detail.

21 - 40 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.