Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Great write up! I just did the same thing to mine, except I was able to bend and move the support beam enough to get my kickers to fit, one question, do you have anything keeping the polyfill up? Or does it just hold istelf up? I stuffed my soundbar with polyfill, but would like to put some up front as well.

Also, great choice with the polk DB's, I love my 651's in the soundbar!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Will the stock speaker covers fit with the new 5.25 speakers.
Yes, just cut away that vertical metal braket, or bend it enough so that the speaker tucks into the dash more. I was able to fit my Kickers in there no problem, and the stock covers fit nice and flush. Nice stealth upgrade:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Only reason you might not get away with using baffles is because spacing restrictions in the rear of the speaker as the air vent comes up on the passenger side if I recall.

The drivers side might have a bit more clearance..
I actually used some of those boom mat baffles in mine, they crushed a little while pushed up against the vents, but fit fine and I think help with keeping the sounds going forward. With the tweeters mounted with nalin brackets, the front speakers clarity is amazing.

One issue was with the volume turned up, the air vents vibrated against the baffles and made terrible noises at certain frequencies, like distorting speakers from too much power.
I ended up stuffing some rubber in between the two and am very happy with the results, my 100wrms polks can now scream at a full 45w rms (hpf set to 80 hz) without the air vents making them sound like they are distorting

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Which baffles are you exactly speaking of?
:
They were like these, thick airtight Styrofoam that is somewhat flexible (not like a cheap Styrofoam cup that just cracks)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6FRlVm...ch-Speaker-Baffles-Slim-line-2-1-2-depth.html

I think mine were deeper, (I want to say 4"?) I wanted more volume for the mid component speaker... Ended up being squished a little, but once I kept it from vibrating directly on the hvac vents I've been loving the crisp mids....
Also , cut a small round hole in the back for the wires, might try to seal up that hole just to see if it makes a difference, but I've read some people leave a dime sized hole sort of like a port...

On a side note, this brings the speaker forward in the brackets almost a 1/4 inch, and I actually reverse mounted the top of the 5 1/4 bracket ( think under the metal, not over) so that the speaker leans back for more clearance behind the metal dash sub frame. coincidentally, they are now aimed towards your stomach/ ribs instead of your knees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.