Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

how to adjust transfer case shift linkage?

422 16
2001 jeep Grand Cherokee WJ with 4.0. I replaced a missing grommet on the transfer case shift cable . Upon snapping the cable back onto the lever, (under the car) the shifter will not stay in 2 wd. It is in 4 wd pt. It will go into 4wd ft if shifted. Try to put it into 2wd it will not stay there but move and retract back to 4wd PT. I am assuming it need the cable adjusted unless something else happened when the grommet fell off. Any help appreciated
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,534 Posts
2001 jeep Grand Cherokee WJ with 4.0. I replaced a missing grommet on the transfer case shift cable . Upon snapping the cable back onto the lever, (under the car) the shifter will not stay in 2 wd. It is in 4 wd pt. It will go into 4wd ft if shifted. Try to put it into 2wd it will not stay there but move and retract back to 4wd PT. I am assuming it need the cable adjusted unless something else happened when the grommet fell off. Any help appreciated
Is this any help A1?

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this any help A1?
I appreciate the help. This is not a light or switch issue. The actual shifter lever will not lock into the 2wd position. it slides back to the 4wd PT position. Not sure if this is an adjustment issue with the cable or something is wrong with transfer case. This only happened after I replaced the missing grommet on the shifter linkage cable.

· Registered
1986 Jeep Cherokee
391 Posts
There are two places you can adjust it. One is under the console where the cable is attached to the shift linkage and the other is on the side of the transmission where the cable mounts there.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I realize there is an adjustment screw there, but, there has to be a procedure as to where you put the shifter while adjusting it? Maybe the other video posted is closer to what I am questioning. Thank you for the response.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have tried that today. After I put it into 2wd on the transfer case lever, I had the inside shifter in 2wd position. I was able to snap the cable onto the lever. The minute I shift it to 4wd PT it goes into that. If I try to shift back to 2wd PT the shifter will push to that position but wont stay there. It goes back to 4wd PT. Maybe there is too much slack in the cable?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts