Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old (unknown pedigree) '89 YJ 4.2 carb 5-speed a year ago, been running okay, but just hit a rock on a dirt
road and broke/bent front passenger leaf spring - the wheel is now back 2" from driver side, drove the few miles home okay with steering wheel out of alignment. I tried to reposition the wheel and put a C-clamp on the rear portion of the leaf where the bolt/weld broke, seeing if a leaf clamp would work for temporary repair, but i suspect the top leaf is too bent, because it didn't change anything. I confirmed that the axle did not slip position on the leaf and the axle does not act/appear bent. I can replace the whole front set of leaf springs, but I have no information on what brand/kind of springs they are. The YJ is suspension lifted about 4" on 33's, from what I can tell, stock axles, spring under axle, no body lift, could be stock 4" dogbone shackles (don't know the stock length) on the front and aftermarket 6.5" boomerangs on the back - shocks are also generic white, no markings. If I go to Quadratec, there's lots of types of springs and I can't visually match what I have to any of them (they all look the same), and I'm a bit concerned with loosing lift or changing my configuration (which had been working pretty well) picking the wrong springs. There are at least 4 brands of 4" lift: Rugged Ridge, Rubicon Express, Skyjacker, Rough Country. Quality / durability / springiness differences?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
Looks like you have stock shackles. 4" eye to eye. As far as lifts, without a PN or other markings, hard to tell what you have. If you're sure it is a 4" lift, then I'd replace both springs. If you want to be SURE they all match, I'd replace all of them. You just might get a better ride. BUT as they say... ya get what ya pay for! Rough country is inexpensive/cheap for a reason. Not sure about skyjacker, but I had a set of RE ED 4.5's and they rode like butter. Super soft and flexy (as far as SUA goes) But I also had good shocks... which is half the equation when you're looking for a soft/good ride. Prior to that I had RC... crap! And the standard RE 4" springs are NOT the same as the ED's. Hence the price difference.
I Also had a set of BDS springs which were also very good. IIRC they have 3.5" springs that could fit you bill.

Reactions: k3for

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time for new springs all around!
Ok, well, I'll at least do the front two so they'll be symmetric - I hope that fixes it, and there's no other damage from hitting that rock - what else could have been damaged, beside the leaf spring, which definitely is broke and looks further bent on one side?

·
Registered
964 Posts
If they are all old, OP, I think you might as well replace all 4. If you hit another rock in the rear, same issue down the road.

Plus, if you get new 4" lift springs in the front, your rear may be sagging, and you could end up with the nose up. Maybe not, but while you have the tools out, might be prudent to just do it all, IMHO.

·
Registered
19,020 Posts
I would certainly replace all four springs, since any new spring is going to sit higher than the old ones. Being that OME only has 2" springs, I'd look at the 3 1/2" springs from BDS you can buy just the spring by the part number listed in the kit and have them shipped to your preferred off road shop for free (or pay shipping direct to you). Those springs use standard "YJ" bushings available from places like WFO or many other off-road retailers. You'll have no problem clearing 33's on their 3 1/2" springs (I ran their 2" springs on 33's with TJ flares).

Of the 4" spring choices you listed the only one I'd even consider would be Rubicon Express.

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
I’d observe and confirm that the fronts are 4” and the rears match. I’m suspicious that the rear springs are ~2.5-3” due to the rear ultralong shackles, though that may be a compensation effort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts