Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, got my TJ last week and Im ordering a spare tire mount tomorrow. I would like to figure out a good way to carry a jack as well. Not thrilled about the options I am seeing on Amazon so far.

Not sure putting it on the back in addition to the 33inch tire and steel wheel is going to be a great idea.

I like this one: https://amzn.to/3p93Zfn but that seems like a lot of weight on the stock tailgate.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you look closely at the other pictures in that ad, that mount plate is shown in conjunction with an aftermarket bumper with a separate rack for the spare, not a stock setup. I would at least consider adding the MORryde tailgate reinforcement kit if you aren't going to change the bumper.

As far as the jack, I've had mine mounted to the hood hinges for 2 Jeeps now(total about 11 years). I've actually been considering moving it somewhere else, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. No particular reason, just tired of looking at it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you look closely at the other pictures in that ad, that mount plate is shown in conjunction with an aftermarket bumper with a separate rack for the spare, not a stock setup. I would at least consider adding the MORryde tailgate reinforcement kit if you aren't going to change the bumper.

As far as the jack, I've had mine mounted to the hood hinges for 2 Jeeps now(total about 11 years). I've actually been considering moving it somewhere else, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. No particular reason, just tired of looking at it.
That MORryde kit looks slick! A bit more money than I'm REALLY ready to spend this week. Great to know it exists. I was considering order these upgraded hinges: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0833W4Z1...abc_BN6QCZYD7P3WSZX540RT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As for the jack, maybe I should just order a hood hinge mount for now, they aren't expensive, and figure out a better long term solution down the trail.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the hood mount. It's served me well for a number of years. I'm just thinking about changing things up a bit.
I'm currently contemplating hood louvers, high line fenders and a back bumper with a tire carrier, gas can and jack mount. Already ditched the hardtop for a Trek Top NX.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When hunting in my hardtop TJ I carry all my "stuff" in the rear with the rear seat folded forward since I never have more than one hunting partner with me anyway.

Included in my stash is a 48" Hi Lift placed transversely just behind the seats. Being protected under a hardtop like that cuts the cleaning and maintenance of the jack to about zero.

·
5,559 Posts
On the sport cage. Up and out of the way but available when needed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
When hunting in my hardtop TJ I carry all my "stuff" in the rear with the rear seat folded forward since I never have more than one hunting partner with me anyway.

Included in my stash is a 48" Hi Lift placed transversely just behind the seats. Being protected under a hardtop like that cuts the cleaning and maintenance of the jack to about zero.
I do similarly in all my off road ready vehicles. keep weight as low down and centrally located as possible for a lower COG and better handling. Roof racks and bumper mounts do have their uses, but they detract from capability at high angle obstacles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts