Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '76 Wagoneer, for the rear drum brakes there is no slot in the brake backing plate to insert a brake adjusting tool and back off or adjust the brakes, just a depression in the metal where a slot is normally located. Did they forget to cut that out at the factory? I was able to get the drums off by pulling them by hand while jiggling them, but how do I adjust the brakes when I put them back? Would it work to just tighten them enough such that the drum barely slipped on, and then rely on the self-adjusting mechanism (if it has that? I'm not sure.....not sure what to look for).

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
Not sure why the slot is missing, but you are going to want that in there for future use. Removing a damaged drum or set of shoes is near impossible without being able to back the adjuster off.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
It depends on the design, you need to pull them apart and post some pictures.

On older drums they did not have the screw type adjusters, instead you adjusted the pins that the brake shoes were fastened on with. They were an eccentric cam, so you turned what looked like 4 bolts on the back of the drum, 2 for each shoe. these put the shoes near the drum so the wheel cylinder could push apart the top edges.

You can tell if these are the type, there is no mechanism between the bottom edges of the shoes. they reqire periodic adjustment.

They were a long time out of use by 1976, my 1951 Willys has them, but you never know what a Po put on.

Pictures?

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
A couple of pictures may help us identify what you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.