Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through Jeep Forum for years learning and seeing what you all are doing. This is my first post. I have an 83 cj7 that started its life in California but was brought to the east coast in mid 2000s. I bought it off a friend in 2008. Not sure if the early 80's California regulations factor into this question.

Question. There's a hose coming out the drivers side engine block that is dripping coolant. When the engine is off it doesn't drip but when running it leaks as if its seeping through the hose. My guess is the hose is old and needs replacing. Before I do though, I wanted to know what this hose is and should it be leaking coolant or is there a bigger issue somewhere? I've attached a photo taken from under the drivers side bumper looking back towards the rear of the engine bay. Does anyone know what this hose is?

I couldn't find another post on here that'd answer this question. Hopefully I'm not reposting the same question someone else asked. Thanks for any help you all can give.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The hose I see your arrow pointing at looks like the fuel return line from your fuel filter bypass.

It should be connected on top to the hard line that comes down from up by your fuel filter, and then to a hard line on the frame that goes back to your fuel tank.

Little to no fuel pressure in this line.

If there is coolant coming off of it, it might be dripping down from your intake manifold, if you have the OEM coolant flow through intake manifold.

Reactions: keith460

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hose I see your arrow pointing at looks like the fuel return line from your fuel filter bypass.

It should be connected on top to the hard line that comes down from up by your fuel filter, and then to a hard line on the frame that goes back to your fuel tank.

Little to no fuel pressure in this line.

If there is coolant coming off of it, it might be dripping down from your intake manifold, if you have the OEM coolant flow through intake manifold.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll take a closer look at it after work on Friday to see if I can see the source of the leak from above where that hose originates. I'm figuring this all out as I go but that hose does connect to a hard line running towards the back of the jeep.

·
Registered
83 cj7
525 Posts
I thought my lower rad hose was leaking. I replaced it and still had an intermittent leak. Turns out I had a hole in my radiator. Coolant has a way of running to weird places. Ymmv

·
Premium Member
9,320 Posts
Just above that hose are core plugs in a row along the block. If you have internal rust, they can start to leak. Usually the first sign is brown stains and rust around the plug. If you can get a camera up under the exhaust manifold you can carry out a remote inspection of them.

Another source is coolant blowing back from the water pump. Probably not good enough for a drip.

Reactions: John Strenk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do some more digging. this is helpful. I'll get some more photos if I get some time tomorrow. Internal rust doesn't sound good if that's it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Post them anyway, as one of us might see something relevant, where you might over look.

Just lots of fresh eyes do not hurt to try finding the problem :)

did some quick digging tonight but no dice. Lot of photos but none of them seem to provide any clues. More tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,105 Posts

This would be more logical. There are a couple of plug fittings under the stock aluminum intake manifolds that may be leaking. Coolant passes through the intake manifold to help cool the fuel/air mixture before entering the combustion chamber.
I've never taken one of those plugs out but I imagine they will be NPT threads. Possibly used to drain coolant out of the intake manifold if needed.
There are also several other plugs that you should check as well. CTO switch, Manifold Heater switch and even the pipe fittings on top that may be leaking and dripping down.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't explain it but its no longer leaking. If I didn't have 3 or 4 cd sized drip marks in the drive way and photos to prove it I'd start to think I'm seeing things. Little more background...between replacing a dead battery, kids, work and lack of current inspection sticker I hadn't been driving it much yet this year. The leak started right after I started getting it moving again. Only thing that's changed since the days it leaked earlier this week/last week and today are that it passed MA safety inspection today (never a guarantee), been driving it a little more and its 20 degrees hotter around here. I checked the fluid level in the radiator and its just above the fins. Seemed normal. Drove it 3 times across town today no issues.

That photo with arrows helps. Attached are 2 photos I took the other day. One from the behind the front drivers side tire and one from near the front side of the driver side tire. That one looks better but there's still a lot going on in there. Maybe something in here stands out to you all?

The guy I used to rely on around here for help moved to Maine so I appreciate everyone's time and help! If it really does stop leaking I may leave it alone but keep watching it...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That last pic looks like just up to the left you have a freeze plug that is wet.

Might be tracking down the block and dripping down off oil pan lip onto that fuel return line?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts