Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Homemade Jeep Snorkel w/pics

193791 Views 136 Replies 74 Participants Last post by  sick93lx
OK, I've been trying to use the downtime for the Jeep projects(getting a ton of rain down here). Plus we don't have the nice terrain most of you all do just mud and swamps. So I just got in from making my snorkel. I couldn't justify the almost $400 bucks for the safari snorkle so I welded up 3" exhaust pipe and put on the ARB top.
One 3" U bend $24
One straight pipe $20
ARB snorkle top $ 77
Total $121
All I have left to do is connect it to my stock airbox with some dryer vent tube from Home Depot and some additional waterproofing under the hood.

Tried to keep it low profile for tree branches and wanted it to match the body line and windshield angle. Also I went through the hood because my hood is already dented and didn't want to ruin a good fender.

How's it look?:cheers2:

Reactions: TerraIncognita
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,681 Posts
I made a new airbox all together to get rid of the whole "box" design which has many 90* angles and well, it's a box... air goes into the box and goes many different directions as it hits the corners... I just picked up a 40.00 K&N 4" filter and built a PVC housing. Some say the sizedown at the end is too much, but I saw a performance gain when I installed it, and when I pull the hose off the throttle body, it makes no difference in the engine idle, so despite what some have said, PLENTY of air gets through, enough to add 1MPG to the list and a higher top speed.

Anyway, dont know if this helps, but I built the airbox (minus filter) for 40 or less.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/homemade-snorkle-custom-intake-pics-909382/

· Registered
2,681 Posts
How are you recharging that air filter? Will you have to destroy your PVC air box to do it? Or are you not cementing it together?
One of the 6" to 4" pieces isn't cemented on, I used buckle clips from lowes and epoxied them on the sides so when I use those clasps to clamp it shut it seals around the rubber rim of the filter. I usually silicone/rvt around the one spot that isn't cemented "just in case" but I tested it using some cynder blocks and holding the thing 6' deep in my pool and no water got to the filter lol. (I sealed up both ends to test it but yeah water didn't make it in through the cemented parts nor the buckle/clamp half).

· Registered
2,681 Posts
I believe it was a 1" hole saw and two 90* PVC fittings from tractor supply, I epoxied them into the holes I drilled then hose clamped the rubber hoses to the 90* fitting... I'll try to grab a pic tomorrow if I can lol.

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Apollo, What size material did you use and what did you use for couplings?
Check out my thread and see if it answers your question.

2 six to 4" inch PVC connectors

1 rubber 4" to 3" connector for snorkel side (connects snork to intake box)

1 pvc 4" to 2" connector (for manifold side) but if you dremel out the inside you can go from a ~2" to a ~2.75" inside diameter, which is a little better but if I were you I would figure out a way to connect a 4" to 3" connector directly to the throttle body instead of a 4" to 2" like mine, the outside diameter of the 2" part is a little more than 3" and would allow (using slightly larger 3" tubing of some sort).

The hardest part of my design was dealing with the wierd outside diameter of the PVC, the autozone/advance flex tube diesnt fit a larger neckdown than the one on my setup. So connecting the trottle body to my box needs a larger opening and a different type of flexhose that. Havn't found yet.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/homemade-snorkle-custom-intake-pics-909382/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.