Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Homemade Jeep Snorkel w/pics

193852 Views 136 Replies 74 Participants Last post by  sick93lx
OK, I've been trying to use the downtime for the Jeep projects(getting a ton of rain down here). Plus we don't have the nice terrain most of you all do just mud and swamps. So I just got in from making my snorkel. I couldn't justify the almost $400 bucks for the safari snorkle so I welded up 3" exhaust pipe and put on the ARB top.
One 3" U bend $24
One straight pipe $20
ARB snorkle top $ 77
Total $121
All I have left to do is connect it to my stock airbox with some dryer vent tube from Home Depot and some additional waterproofing under the hood.

Tried to keep it low profile for tree branches and wanted it to match the body line and windshield angle. Also I went through the hood because my hood is already dented and didn't want to ruin a good fender.

How's it look?:cheers2:

Reactions: TerraIncognita
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Very nice!

I'd love to get a picture of the bracket used for the windshield mount and one of how you hooked it up to the airbox as well! Otherwise I'm ready to start this project tomorrow man!

I can't wait to see the rest of your pics!

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Oh, and where did you buy just the top for the snorkel? I can't find one anywhere!

· Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm sitting here geting ready to hit the "confirm order" button on the websites to order the supplies for this mod but need the rest of the pictures so I can make sure I do it right. :D

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Excellent write-up and pictures man, thanks a bunch! :cheers:

· Registered
2,218 Posts
How would you go about hooking up a snorkle if you had a carbed engine? I dont even have an air box.

And wont your distributer get wet and kill the engine before you could get vary deep?
Personally I routed a hose from the breather of mine to the top of the firewall and put electro-grease on all of the plugs/connectors and regular lube grease on the base of each plug to slow the water down.:thumbsup:

· Registered
2,218 Posts
How long is the peice of pipe running parallel to the hood from bend to bend?

I bought a 10ft peice of pipe and am bending my own 180' U shape, but need to know how long that peice of strait pipe is so that the hook-up for the pipe will be in the same spot on the hood as yours is.

· Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm taking the whole 10ft piece to be bent at a shop because our bender only bends up to 2 1/2" pipe :( There will be no welds (except for mounting bracket) and the pipe will be one continuous piece.

I'll have them leave me a few inches on each end (hood/snorkel top) to work with after I try bolting it up.

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Almost done recreating this snorkel! :D I just can't decide what to do as far as the snorkel top, Hummer or ARB?

· Registered
2,218 Posts
hoping I hadn't overlooked this, but has anyone considered or established the CFM requirements for the engine's intake when building snorkels?
Considered a whosawhatsa?:laugh:

· Registered
2,218 Posts
ok guys,,ive just been driveing in a down pour of rain for almost 3 hrs and all i can say is the new snorkel and air box are definitly better than stock..im saying this because when all the cool rain air hits the throttle body when i floor it ,it is superior to the stock air box as i can feel quite a bit more power ans smoothness..when its hot and normal i didnt feel no diffrence,but in the rain..wow,its like a race jeep,haha..
in a minute im gonna take the filter out to see if any water gets in there at all..
im sure that it isnt as i made a 1/2-5/8 lip inside the top where the pipe meets the tubeing and i cant see it going up hill..but the fast flow of air when cruiseing may get in a little..i will see soon.
as for the aftermarket snorkels they almost have to get more water in them than the one i made..if i need to explain this further just ask and i will get into more detail to make ya understand what i did after seeing and looking at what arb snorkel does to get the water out..if it even works..id like to know who has a aftermarket snorkel and if after a rain storm is there snorkel tube perfectly dry?
The one I made to copy his design gets a little wet but nothing major. This is the first time my air filter has been clean for more than a month since I got my Jeep. Almost makes me want to drop some coin on a K&N now that it would be protected.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.