Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,103 Posts
I think your 441.4 CFM figure is a little much.
acording to the cfm formula found here,
http://www.classicinlines.com/CFMcalc.asp
the 2.5L engine only draws in about 221.9 cfm @ 5000rpm.

you have to remember that because these are 4 stroke engines, they require 2 revolutions to draw in their full displacement volume.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm in the process of putting one of these together. I'm using 3" round tube, and will be plugging the stock inlet on the air box, and coming into the side of it with the new tube.

anyway, I was wandering about the top of the snorkel(I really like the way that johnny9 finished his).
I was wandering, would you get more of a "ram" effect if you face the opening down(to try to catch the air that is being forced up the windshield)? or is having the opening facing forward, like all the other snorkels, still the best bet?

· Registered
2,103 Posts
I finally got mine done to the point that it is functional(I still need to pull it back off and paint it).
I've only driven in the rain one time, but there was verry minimal water that made it to the air box(probably only a few drops worth of moisture). and as already mentioned, I think you'd have to almost fill the air box to cause a problem.
another advantage that I noticed was how clean the filter is staying. I was on some really dusty trails this weekned, that would normally left me with a verry dirty filter, and when I got back home, the filter was still spotless.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
making that top was a little tricky, it's all one piece of sheet metal. I cut it out, bent it into shape, and then only had two seams to weld. here's a pic of the cardboard template I made, and another pic looking down on the top(notice that I changed the origional design a bit). oh, and the aluminum screen is just temporary untill I can pick up some expanded steel and weld it in.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
If rain which runs down the snorkle drains through the airbox below the intake... What's the point of the snorkle? If water can drain out the air box can't it get IN as well in deep water?
I'm not sure what everyone else is doing about this, but here's what I'm going to do.
have you ever seen the bottom side of an ATV air box? they have a little one way valve(some are a diaphram/flapper type, others resemble the cowl vent drain tube on YJ's), that will allow water to drain out, but will not let it come in. I'm still looking for one, but I plan to put one in the bottom of my air box to let rain water drain out.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
sense this thread got brought back to the top, I'll add a little update to my snorkel.
I got it painted(along with the rest of the jeep), and found a pic of the adapter flange that I made to conect the snorkel to the stock air box.
Painted, sorry, it's the best pic I could find.

and here's the adapter attached to the air box. I also put in a bung so that I could relocate the intake air temp sensor.

· Registered
2,103 Posts
what happens to the rain if you're driving through weather and it gets in the snorkel?
I've had my snorkel setup for over a year now, and have driven with it in quite a bit of rain (and more lately, snow) and have had no issues at all with water building up in the air box. Had it been an issue, I was planning to put a one way flapper valve in the bottom of the air box (like what's on the bottom of some ATV air boxes), but so far, it hasn't been needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.