Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been trying to use the downtime for the Jeep projects(getting a ton of rain down here). Plus we don't have the nice terrain most of you all do just mud and swamps. So I just got in from making my snorkel. I couldn't justify the almost $400 bucks for the safari snorkle so I welded up 3" exhaust pipe and put on the ARB top.
One 3" U bend $24
One straight pipe $20
ARB snorkle top $ 77
Total $121
All I have left to do is connect it to my stock airbox with some dryer vent tube from Home Depot and some additional waterproofing under the hood.

Tried to keep it low profile for tree branches and wanted it to match the body line and windshield angle. Also I went through the hood because my hood is already dented and didn't want to ruin a good fender.

How's it look?:cheers2:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the positive feedback.
I did learn a couple things in doing this. You mentioned the joints or seams between the pipe. If its not cut perfectly the seams dont line up. Meaning if you don't cut through the apex of the bend exactly you will be trying to match an oval to a circle. I used a miter saw so it came out pretty close. I then used a flap disc on my grinder to dress the welds, I could have gotten them a little more flush but did not want to remove too much material for strength reasons.
The other thing is the u shaped notch in the hood. Since the hood is hinged on top it comes forward about 1 1/2 inches just in the distance to clear the 3" pipe. So in retrospect I should have gotten a little closer with my cutout on the rear side of the u.
Lastly, its held to the windshield using the two factory holes on the outside of the top hinge. I cut a pc. of 1/8 by IIRC 2 1/2 by the length of the hinge and welded it to the pipe length wise. I think you can see it in one of the pics(painted black with two stainless screws). It kept the pipe the perfect distance from the windshield frame. I also added an L shaped bracket to the inner fenderwell under the hood. Its solid.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I like that it goes through the hood. Gives it a much cleaner look. That looks as good if not even better than the $400 kit!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
The last home made snorkel that I saw was made out of white PVC (which included pink lettering all down the side on the specs of the pipe) siliconed to hell and beyond to the hole in the fender that looked like it was cut with a drywall saw. It was some serious ghetto setup the dumb kid had going on.

Yours is way, way, nicer.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys.
Honestly, I just finished the outer part, its not hooked up to the airbox yet, but I plan to use aluminum flexible 3" dryer vent tube. First I going to see if I can use the stock inlet spot. If not the side of the box right where the new pipe dumps into will be my next choice.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Beautiful job there, mate. :thumbsup:

I love how you went through the hood--that looks very nice. I would love to see how you end up connecting it to the airbox too if you have time.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.