Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put carpet inside their hardtop? Im thinking about lining the inside of my hardtop with carpet to see maybe if it will help with keeping the cold out. If you have better suggestions im all ears. thank you!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Anyone put carpet inside their hardtop? Im thinking about lining the inside of my hardtop with carpet to see maybe if it will help with keeping the cold out. If you have better suggestions im all ears. thank you!
Do hardtops have removable headliners?
If so thinking a closed cell foam between the roof and headliner might be better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Better use windshield insulator of those that have aluminium+white foam.
It is a lighter material, no mites in it, and it is great as thermal isolation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Carpet isn't much of an insulator . Strictly cosmetic. They do make a lightweight foam sound deadener in various thicknesses that would stick very well, mold to the contour and insulate better then carpet. Depending on the brand though it can be expensive.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Carpet is awful IIRC at both insulation and sound deadening (comparatively), not to mention a real bear to stay put upside down. There are MUCH lighter and easier to install insulating products around.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lowes and Home Depot have thin foil faced bubble type insulation in rolls you can use with some 3M adhesive to stick it down if you dont want the expense of the auto specific stuff. If your set on the carpet idea you can use the adhesive on it as well after you install the insulating material.

·
Think Outside the Catalog
9,731 Posts
I had carpet for a bit. It turns out the two 2'x5' hallway runners placed side by side cover the main roof of a YJ hard top nicely. As said above, it looks better than it works. My top sits in the yard 8 months of the year, and after a few years it started delaminating. The last couple winters I had none and barely know the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.