Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
221 - 240 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L V6 Common Rail Diesel. Possibly one of the most temperamental automobiles in existence. With Mercedes Benz OM642 motor you will either earn a degree in studies related to this engine or will have lost much of your hair (But not both). Just replaced the original starter, water pump and 2nd serpentine belt and running strong 65% of the time with 210,000 miles. It is not for sale.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L V6 Common Rail Diesel. Possibly one of the most temperamental automobiles in existence. With Mercedes Benz OM642 motor you will either earn a degree in studies related to this engine or will have lost much of your hair (But not both). Just replaced the original starter, water pump and 2nd serpentine belt and running strong 65% of the time with 210,000 miles. It is not for sale.

I hear you. I had an 08 ML320 prior to the GC. Loved the vehicle but that engine UGHH. Prior to that I had an 06 E320 with straight 6, that engine was flawless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well rolled 281,000 on my '14 GC Overland (purchased new 4/2015) . It is at dealer for ticking lifter noise and whine from rear (not the driver ;)). Diagnosis is new rear differential. As far as ticking, needs rockers and lifters on the drivers side. This is the second go around for lifters and rocker arms. Thankful for Maxcare. Should be covered. However, Maxcare has requested photos of the vehicle, as well as photos of the inside of the diff before approving. I guess since Covid they no longer have folks that go around to the dealers to inspect the items before repairs. Thankfully the GC looks spotless inside and out. Will update if there are any issue with them covering the repairs.
Sounds similar to my experience. My second differential is failing now so going on my 3rd differential. and did the rocker and cams. 185k miles. Most of my luxury convienance options are broken, seats, back up camera, seat heater, both my catalytic converters are bad,

·
Registered
87 YJ Sold, 93 WJ Sold, 94 XJ Sold, 99 XJ for Sale, 2018 WK2 to come soon
71 Posts
Have any of you used an aftermarket maintenance program? Would you recommend any? There are so many TV commercials but would rather hear from someone that had actual experience in dealing with this. Thanks!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm surprised, Chrysler hasn't tried to buy out of MaxCare or give you a good deal on a new vehicle. You have almost got a new vehicle with all the parts that have been replaced 😀

Keep posting, I want to see how long it runs for.

Since Covid in 2020 I have been working from home and only put about 3,000 miles on mine in the last two years to total ~135k miles so it should have at least 165k miles left in it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Of those still on here with high mileage and the zf transmission - which direction did you end up going regarding the sealed for life fluid? Still on the original fluid, or end up changing it? Not looking to start a debate on it, just curious how it played out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm surprised, Chrysler hasn't tried to buy out of MaxCare or give you a good deal on a new vehicle. You have almost got a new vehicle with all the parts that have been replaced 😀

Keep posting, I want to see how long it runs for.

Since Covid in 2020 I have been working from home and only put about 3,000 miles on mine in the last two years to total ~135k miles so it should have at least 165k miles left in it.
I know, I kept waiting for that letter in the mail to arrive. Mileage is going to drop dramatically as I am going to begin working remote 2/21/22. I am not a fan of some of the aspects of the GCL. I have not seen the new GC up close yet so I reserve judgement until I see one. I have looked at the Wagoneer, but could never justify that price for a vehicle. I did look at the Durango R/T as I think I would like to try the Hemi next go around especially since I will not be putting crazy miles and would tow my 23' snowmobile trailer more effortlessly.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree the Wagoneer is expensive, it's in the Mercedes, Range Rover price range, even the new GC-L has become a higher-priced product. I guess it makes business sense if a manufacturer can make fewer cars and sell them with higher margins.

The Durango is just a three-row WK2, I think Chrysler made a big mistake by not retaining the WK2 styling and branding and calling it the GC-L. IMHO the Jeep looks much better than the Dodge and the Dodge brand has lost much of its value over the years except for the Challenger and Charger, it does not resonate with the current customer base.

·
Registered
969 Posts
What tires are you running? If they are BFG KO2s you may be too late, typically when they get noisy, a rotation won't help much. You need to rotate them every 5K, owners often do it when they change the oil. Wheelworks used to do rotations for free if you bought the tires there, I think Costco has a similar deal, with a car lift and an air wrench, they can do in 10mins

221 - 240 of 265 Posts