441 - 460 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
on a DD?

Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but my Jeep is a DD, I don't want to mount it outside and it can't interfere with the soft top going up and down. To those who don't carry their jack all the time, what do you do if you get a flat tire on the way to the grocery store?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
i use a mechanical bottle jack that fits in a nice mount under the front seat. Added a Swag axle cradle like this

http://www.swagoffroad.com/Bottle-Jack-Axle-Cradle_p_66.html

Rather than use the hand crank i adapted a tool to run it up/down with a cordless impact gun or with OBA air tool. To change tire will have out impact anyway.

the hydraulic bottle jacks tend to leak. mechanical is cleaner and lighter.

·
Wot's...uh The Deal?
6,748 Posts
I measured it out and drilled a few more holes in the fairlead with inverted bolts. Plus, since I don't have a full bumper I figured this can't hurt for a little fender protection...

This is really a great idea. I just need a mount location in the winter time. In the summer, I mount it on my fabricated luggage rack. But I've yet to find a good mounting spot when I have the soft top on.

GL1, if you ever come back here, I'd like to know what size bolts you use. Although I can probably figure it out myself.:cheers2:

·
Wot's...uh The Deal?
6,748 Posts
Got her done.

·
Wot's...uh The Deal?
6,748 Posts
I had a similar accident by setting a heavy truck battery just over my tailgate, it barely missed me before going through the windshield.
Welcome to the forum.

Since you are new here, I'd like to give you a little advice. It would be good if you could "quote" the post you are referring to. There's over 450 posts on this thread. And it's hard to know which one you're replying to.:cheers2:

·
5,559 Posts
2102 JK, Roll Bar mount.

It's a new bracket from Hi-Lift (RC-875) that allows mounting of just about any vendor's jack in sizes from 48" to 60". It's designed as is to mount on the bottom of the roll bar but with a but of trimming of the roll bar padding, it can be used up high.

What needs to be removed to mount it up high.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just took mine off to sand blast and repaint as it has had a hard and long life, but when it is on my CJ, it is mounted to the back bumper - usually flipped as compared to the pic below. Studs were welded through holes in the 1/2 wall stainless tube bumper just for mounting the jack and I use a bushing, two washers and a lock-nut to keep it on tight and rattle free. The bolts are the same size and thread as my lug nuts and I have thought about holding it on with a regular lug-nut and one locking lug-nut or two lockers as a theft deterrent, but as of yet no one has been foolish enough to attempt to walk away with my hi-lift

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Some $4 U Bolts and thats that! What are the con's of this type of setup? Bottom of the bolts are nearly flush with the bumper and I have a hacksaw in my tool bag if the threads get crushed or bent.

Attachments

441 - 460 of 467 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.