Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5.7 had a no-start the other day and threw p0335 code for crankshaft position sensor, so i ordered a mopar replacement. went under the jeep today, unhooked and unbolted the sensor. was able to rotate it in the hole so it wasn't seized in place, but when i pulled on the body, the whole thing ripped apart and the guts pulled out, leaving the end of the plastic housing stuck almost flush with the block. i guess the plastic must have already been cracked and that's why the sensor was failing.

i've tried all the small prybars, hooks and little screwdrivers that i have, can wiggle it but just can't get it to pop out. largest easyout initially bit, but just pulled out the rest of the magnet and a bunch of cured silicone potting, and now the hole is too large for it to grab anything else. the housing end is about empty but i can't get anything to hook it to pull. any attempt with pliers just rips pieces off.

concerned about it breaking apart more and bits getting into the oil pan. any thoughts?

Brown Tire Wood Plant Bedrock

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took a couple days to work on other stuff and think about this before getting back to it this afternoon. happy to report back, success!
Can you tap or thread a bolt into the void and see if that will bite enough to pull out?
^^^ this was the way, thanks very much for the good idea 👍👍

tight spot so this was mostly one handed, but was able to run a 1/2-13 tap into the part that was left, holding the tap with a shorty 5/16 wrench. then threaded a 1/2 bolt through a flare nut wrench to give me a way to hold it and something to pry on, and used the prybar between the wrench and the edge of the oil pan. popped right out first try, all in one piece. i did clear off the loose rust around the area and blew things off with shop air before popping it out to make sure nothing got down the hole. bore for the sensor was still good so cleaned it out, oiled up the new sensor and popped it in.
Gas Cable Wire Nut Electric blue

Camera accessory Household hardware Auto part Optical instrument Gas

Wood Personal protective equipment Bag Recreation Auto part

jeep fired right back up. thanks again for the help! 🍻

1 - 2 of 2 Posts