Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23,953 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not sure a can of cleaner is going remove years of dirty exhaust build up in your intake. I was shocked at how dirty the inside of my original intake on my 360 was. I wasn't going to do that to my shiny new intake.

Think about it. They engineered systems to filter clean air and fuel into the intake, then they stick a crude valve on to recycle unfiltered and dirty exhaust thru the intake to reduce a few emissions, all at the expense of the overall health of the engine. It just never made any sense to me.

BTW, simply disconnecting the EGR vacuum hose and plugging the hose will disable the EGR without removing it. Then, all you have to do is reconnect the hose for inspections.

Matt

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A brand new gas cap was installed just before the test. The old one had a cracked gasket so I tend to just replace every two years. The tech did mention a possible evap issue but suggested somewhere in the rear; possibly at gas tank top. I replaced those already but I need to check those return lines back there as well. As far as the canister, I do have some spare filters for it so I should probably replace.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The canister system is supposed to trap the fuel vapors in the filter, then release it to the intake when you are driving down the road. If the system won’t hold vacuum you get those kinds of failures. Usually you get a check engine light and a code. I am so glad they killed our smog tests 15 or so years ago. Here in the Ohio valley, we have the cleanest air I’ve seen in my lifetime…and I’m now officially OLD. Good luck finding the answer.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I also run the 304 in my ‘79 CJ5 without EGR. I use the Edelbrock Performer Dual Plane intake number 2131 - non-EGR. No emissions inspection here in Ohio for my CJ.

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I wish I could say the for CA. Is that plastic hose line a special hose that goes to the gas tank or just aquarium type hose? Anyone have a diagram with all the correct hose dimensions (I.D., O.D.)? The place I get all that special hose from is closed till Monday so trying to make a list of what I’ll need to replace it all underneath to tank!

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Fuel Tank Diagram:

Organism Handwriting Font Line Parallel

Reactions: mpgmike

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I think that greenish colored fuel return line is more of a rigid type line.

·
Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Finally PASSED smog! It was a process to say the least but I’m clear for take-off, lol.

Evap test was done and I found several small leaks on some of the old brittle hoses; replaced them. The timing was way off at 27* and I set it to 9*. The Knox levels were still too high which made carb run lean at cruise and rich at idle. Removed top of carb to adjust power valve for lean issue and also adjusted the Air/Fuel but the carb feedback system would not adjust enough to bring in lower readings. Hmmm? Decided to replace the carb (aftermarket) with an already rebuilt OEM Carter I had on my shelf. That did the job!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts