Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
Are there any holes on the short side - the side bent over and back a little?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no holes on the bent over short side.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I believe those are support brackets for the rear cross member. If they are what I'm thinking they bolt to the rear frame rail and the rear cross member. I can get a picture later if you need one.

·
Super Moderator
23,117 Posts
I believe those are support brackets for the rear cross member. If they are what I'm thinking they bolt to the rear frame rail and the rear cross member. I can get a picture later if you need one.
Don't those support brackets have holes in both sides instead of just one side?

Those look like one side of clamping setup.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went through all my pictures and haven’t came across anything with these brackets in it. Could it be for the roll bar mount?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes, they shold have holes on both sides for the rear cross member brace. Looks like my guess was not correct. On second look, they appear a little too wide and thin for those brackets.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine definitely does not have those. But my PO definitely didn't do a lot of things...

I wonder what their intended purpose was...can't be to keep the motor from falling if a motor mount fails. The 258 sits in a "V" pocket...it's not dropping to the floor through the frame... even if it was I wouldn't think a 1/8" thick plate is going to stop it. :unsure:

But now that I know they're supposed to be there...I kind of want a pair

·
Registered
421 Posts
These restrictor plates were only part of 304 mounts.

JS

That kind of makes more sense :) ...pretty funny that we're all wondering if we have those plates or not.

Reactions: John Strenk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Seems pretty clear they are intended to restrict the movement of the motor, possibly in the event of motor mount failure. Is it possible the 304 could drop below the mount if the mount splits in half? Now that I think about it, when I pulled my 304 one of the mounts was totally split in half and before we parked the CJ prior to the rebuild I noticed that the shifter was flopping all over the place in response to varying engine load. I suspected the motor mounts had got weak but now I think it was that one was split in half and the restrictor plates were doing their job of keeping the movement in check well enough for me to not suspect total mount failure,

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
5,649 Posts
They keep the motor from rising up off of the mount when reved up/torque applied, not to keep the engine from dropping down. Same theory as chaining the motor to the frame rail to combat torque lift.

·
Super Moderator
23,117 Posts
You dent the passenger side valve cover on the shock tower?
Never noticed. The engine torqued over, Jammed the clutch mechanism and the throttle. Only way to stop it was turn the ignition off, and I was about 3 rods too slow.
Fortunately there was a wrecked Shelby GT 350 that I was able to get the complete engine as a replacement. That sure woke it up...

·
Premium Member
9,608 Posts
These restrictor plates were only part of 304 mounts.
Correctomundo, only on the 304 V8 engine mounts.
258 I6 had shim plates between engine brackets and motor mounts. Gives it some added strength in that area, as engine torque and frame/suspension flex do their thing.

Tool Wood Font Gas Auto part
Wood Landscape Motor vehicle Auto part Soil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts