Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Add one for my 2015 Summit. This just started at 71K miles. Clicks for a little while when cold and/or at low speeds, then the service 4WD light comes on at highway speeds (and will eventually shut off). I took it to the dealer and they just said it "sounds like it's coming from the transmission" and their only option is to replace the transmission for $5K...and not under the 5 year/100K warranty because its been 5 years 9 months. Based on some of the Jeep Cares posts on here, I asked them to talk to Jeep about having it be under warranty...no word back yet. But, even under warranty, doesn't sound like the transmission is the problem, just the DT control module.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BUYER BEWARE....so, apparently after further testing, the dealer has decided that both the transfer case and the transmission needs to be replaced because both one makes a ticking noise and the other doesn’t seem to be shifting correctly. However, they don’t know why or are willing to entertain the idea that it’s the control module. Now we’re up to about $7k.

To follow up on my request to have Jeep cover it as it’s 30k miles under the drivetrain warranty, but 9 months over the 5 years...they’ve agreed to cover up to $2k of the repair. So they still expect me to pay $5k out of pocket for a repair that may fix the problem, cause they don’t know what the problem really is.

This is so unacceptable!!! Guess it’s time to park it in a questionable area of LA and go lease a Rang Rover...what I should have done from the start.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,147 Posts
The drivetrain control module controls only the transfer case, doesn't touch the transmission.

Talk about going from the frying pan to the fire. If its a typical Rover, once you get over the initial electrical problems, it will be pretty good for maybe three years. My buddy services Rovers, always busy and makes big bucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The drivetrain control module controls only the transfer case, doesn't touch the transmission.

Talk about going from the frying pan to the fire. If its a typical Rover, once you get over the initial electrical problems, it will be pretty good for maybe three years. My buddy services Rovers, always busy and makes big bucks.
I'm just pissed about Jeep's unwillingness to cover this cost when it's 30K miles under the warranty and less than a year over. I'd get it if it was a part or two, but they are talking about replacing half the drivetrain. This shouldn't happen no matter how old the car is with this few miles on it and Jeep is willing to cover less than a third of the cost...they didn't even offer to go 50-50 or cover parts and I cover labor.

To be honest, I didn't notice anything wrong with how it shifts, just the clicking (tell tale sign of the solenoid, as others have spoken about) and the intermittent Service 4WD light. It'll go to another repair shop before it goes off a cliff. Hopefully Jeep Cares and something is done to turn this around before it gets to that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
May be the transfer case for me. When put into reverse and cut the wheel, I get major resistance when backing up. If I keep wheel straight, it backs up as normal, but as soon as I turn wheel it slows to a stop. It's sitting at dealer now waiting to be looked at.
Hello, I have this same problem. What was the problem and how did they fix it in the service? thank you very much for the answer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is not normal and my 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland with the HEMI just started doing this at 47K miles. It is driving me crazy! The noise is from under the chassis behind the engine. It does the rapid clicking for a few seconds then stops. It does it in park at startup, in drive, neutral and reverse but only for maybe 5-10 seconds.
Hello, did you have it checked? how did they solve the problem in the service? thank you very much.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,147 Posts
As long as its not binding when turning, it should be OK to drive that distance. The clicking is the control module trying to turn the shift motor which won't turn. It may eventually burn out one or the other but, most likely, those are going to be replaced anyway.

Reactions: Kikacka123ú

·
Registered
24 Posts
As long as its not binding when turning, it should be OK to drive that distance. The clicking is the control module trying to turn the shift motor which won't turn. It may eventually burn out one or the other but, most likely, those are going to be replaced anyway.
And shift motor you think Transfer Case Shift Motor? Sorry for the simple questions, but I don't know about jeep :)
Thank you, your advice is useful to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And shift motor you think Transfer Case Shift Motor? Sorry for the simple questions, but I don't know about jeep :)
Thank you, your advice is useful to me.
in the original JEEP service, the prices of parts are very high, so I am considering buying parts myself. New parts Module Transfer Case Control and Transfer Case Shift motor need to be coded?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm just pissed about Jeep's unwillingness to cover this cost when it's 30K miles under the warranty and less than a year over. I'd get it if it was a part or two, but they are talking about replacing half the drivetrain. This shouldn't happen no matter how old the car is with this few miles on it and Jeep is willing to cover less than a third of the cost...they didn't even offer to go 50-50 or cover parts and I cover labor.

To be honest, I didn't notice anything wrong with how it shifts, just the clicking (tell tale sign of the solenoid, as others have spoken about) and the intermittent Service 4WD light. It'll go to another repair shop before it goes off a cliff. Hopefully Jeep Cares and something is done to turn this around before it gets to that.
I bought a used 2014 Limited 4x4 GC as a backup to my 2018 GC ( my 08 compass served a long life as my backup and dog hauler) Anyway the night I got it home had 4wd service light come on and then go away after turn off and back on and could hear the ticking the dealership agreed to pay to fix it sense I mentioned it right away and it ended up being the control module for the transfer case and I have not had any more issues since.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The car is still in jeep service, so I don't have any information about beeping and locking the wheels when driving left or right. If I have a statement from the jeep service, I will write here and maybe it will help someone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a heads up on what happened with my 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit. It was doing the tell tale clicking noise coming from under the chassis. Primarily when it was first started and driving slow, then eventually gave up. The problem was the control module for the transfer case, an easy replacement under the drivers seat, as I recall. Something about it was preventing the transfer case to fully actuate a solenoid and properly switch to 4WD. The car had about the same number of miles where these seem to fail.

I originally brought it to the dealer, who first said I needed a new transmission and transfer case at 70K miles. Since this was just out of the warranty (by 6 months) it wouldn't be covered. After spending a month going back and forth with them and Chrysler about how a car with 70K miles could need a new transmission and trying to get it covered under warranty, Chrysler warranty division told me I didn't buy enough vehicles from them and to go pound sand. So, with no other choice, I moved forward with the transmission. At that time, they came back and said the transmission just needed a firmware update, but the transfer case needed to be replaced. After they replaced that, they realized the control module also needed to be replaced...they swore the transfer case was still an issue because the gears were damaged, but the control module is what fixed the problem.

After all that, they then came back and said a cylinder head needed to be replaced, because it was showing a misfire on the cylinder that is known to have the exhaust seat fail. After some troubleshooting, they determined that this was the cause. I told them to leave it (since at this point they had the vehicle for nearly 3 months and I was calling the service and general managers on a near daily basis), sold the car, and swore I'd never buy another Chrysler branded products again...they released a junk product, know it, and refuse to stand behind it. Worst part was, everyone warned me not to buy the car to begin with since they have a reputation for being garbage...I was warned.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,147 Posts
Did you keep up with tire rotations?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a heads up on what happened with my 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit. It was doing the tell tale clicking noise coming from under the chassis. Primarily when it was first started and driving slow, then eventually gave up. The problem was the control module for the transfer case, an easy replacement under the drivers seat, as I recall. Something about it was preventing the transfer case to fully actuate a solenoid and properly switch to 4WD. The car had about the same number of miles where these seem to fail.

I originally brought it to the dealer, who first said I needed a new transmission and transfer case at 70K miles. Since this was just out of the warranty (by 6 months) it wouldn't be covered. After spending a month going back and forth with them and Chrysler about how a car with 70K miles could need a new transmission and trying to get it covered under warranty, Chrysler warranty division told me I didn't buy enough vehicles from them and to go pound sand. So, with no other choice, I moved forward with the transmission. At that time, they came back and said the transmission just needed a firmware update, but the transfer case needed to be replaced. After they replaced that, they realized the control module also needed to be replaced...they swore the transfer case was still an issue because the gears were damaged, but the control module is what fixed the problem.

After all that, they then came back and said a cylinder head needed to be replaced, because it was showing a misfire on the cylinder that is known to have the exhaust seat fail. After some troubleshooting, they determined that this was the cause. I told them to leave it (since at this point they had the vehicle for nearly 3 months and I was calling the service and general managers on a near daily basis), sold the car, and swore I'd never buy another Chrysler branded products again...they released a junk product, know it, and refuse to stand behind it. Worst part was, everyone warned me not to buy the car to begin with since they have a reputation for being garbage...I was warned.
what do you have for motorization?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.