Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I've read pretty much every post out there on this topic. I will be switching over to LED tail lights this weekend and I need reverse lights. I will NOT have the factory lights. I have two 55w lights to use, bumper mounted.

Now, I have a relay, and understand why I need it, and I also have a SPST switch,but I need help with the logistics. I want to wire it so that the lights work when in reverse automatically and so I can turn them on whenever using a switch.

Here are specifics. Because I will no have stock reverse lights, I want to use those wires in the rear and attach them to the 55w lights. It would be nice and simple if I could just attach them at the rear harness and call it a day, but I need to add a relay and switch. So where do I do that?

I would rather not wire directly to the battery, is it possible to keep everything mounted by the fuse box behind the glove box? Can I use that fuse box to bring the power to the relay for the 55w lights? And which wires do I wire to the relay if I want to use the stock reverse light wires (violet/ black and violet/white.) And what.do I need to wire separately (grounds, switch, etc?)

Thank you SO much and I apologize for being semi-electrical-illiterate.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Wiring into the harness defeats the purpose of the relay. Wire directly to the battery and use the original reverse light wiring to activate the relay. Then use a 2 way switch to flick the lights on when in reverse gear only or manually. Don't forget the 10 amp fuse.

Alternatively, ditch the horrible, dim, and unreliable incandescent bulbs for LED lights. DDM Tuning has 110mm LED lights that draw right around 1 amp each, which is about what the stock lights draw, so there's no issues wiring them directly into the stock harness. One 110mm LED light is plenty bright, 2 would be even better.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The basics:

Auxiliary Reverse Lights, splicing into factory wiring:

(a) Simple Switch:
Reverse-ON | Manual-ON

(b) Little more control, a little more complicated...
Reverse-ON | always-OFF | Manual-ON
Rear/Reverse Lamps Schematic using Contura VJD2UHTB switch body.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the replies, what would that diagram look like if I wasn't planning to have stock reverse bulbs? Pretty much I will be using 55w lights on my rear as both reverse lights (triggered automatically with reverse gear) and trail lights. So I plan to connect the cut ends that once went to stock bulbs directly into these lamps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry SlitheringJoe for the horrid adaptation of you schematic, but would this work? This is my idea/plan that I would prefer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
That would work in the diagram above but you should have at the least the diode on the PPL/BLK segment coming out of the factory switch. You do not want to back-feed any RUN power circuits with your "hot at all times" fed manual switch. That is why diodes are in the original diagram.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would work in the diagram above but you should have at the least the diode on the PPL/BLK segment coming out of the factory switch. You do not want to back-feed any RUN power circuits with your "hot at all times" fed manual switch. That is why diodes are in the original diagram.
Is there an existing diode in the PPL/BLK wire or do I need to add one in? Also, what kind of diode would I need?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Is there an existing diode in the PPL/BLK wire or do I need to add one in? Also, what kind of diode would I need?
You must add a diode on output of the factory reverse switch and towards the splice of new manual switch & new relay. The diode direction is away from the factory reverse switch. Go to Radio Shack and purchase a simple diode, nothing special, that is rated a minimum 1 amp. They are cheap. For the cost difference, overkill in an increased amp rating is cheap too.

Diode:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,872 Posts
I would have it on its own switch. I have a 55w light for my "reverse" light but I also use the light at other times. Being able to switch it on an off as you please makes it more versatile.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Use a five pin relay. Hook the reverse light wires to pin 87a
Hook the lights to pin 30
Battery voltage goes to pin 87
The manual switch to pin 86
Ground to pin 85
87a to 30 is always on
87 to 30 is switched on

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
pavemntoptional said:
Use a five pin relay. Hook the reverse light wires to pin 87a
Hook the lights to pin 30
Battery voltage goes to pin 87
The manual switch to pin 86
Ground to pin 85
87a to 30 is always on
87 to 30 is switched on
I wouldn't trust the factory reverse switch nor the factory wiring to drive 2 x 55W lamps. I don't care how long one uses reverse.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have several guys running them this way with zero problems. you can always add a second relay and use the reverse light wires to turn it on and connect the lights to both relays

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I prefer a more robust, no worries application. No need for two relays either. A $0.95 diode + one relay will work perfectly fine. Do whatever works for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you are only running 1 55w light that isthe same as 2 1156 light bulbs (26.9w each)
55w @ 12V = 4.6 amps
53.8 @ 12V = 4.5 amps
I run 55w replacement bulbs in my factory tail light housings with no problems (had to drill a small hole to let heat out to keep from melting the lenses)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts