Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm at a loss. I bought a 2015 Rubi Unlimited. It already had a 2in lift. This is my third jeep so pretty familiar with how they drive. Here's the problem. It started with the death wobble so I checked the usual and ended up replacing the sway bar, steering stabilizer, did an alignment and had them check the castor, and lowered the tire pressure since they had it at the max psi. It drove pretty good for a bit but now there is play in the steering wheel and every... single... bump jerks the steering wheel. At about 70 it makes me a little nervous that I don't feel fully in control of her. Now in my old jeep it was the lower ball joints that caused the issues but both upper and lower ball joints were brand new when I bought it. (Bought her in December). So I am not sure what to check next. Any advice?

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Tire issues (balance, or internal belt issue), brake caliper stickiing, and the tracbar are the things that cause most DW. For me its been tracbar abou t 80% of time with sticking caliper next. I have repaired 100's of jeeps and thats been my experience ..Steering stabilizer is not one, I have never replaced one of those in relation to DW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was really hoping you wouldn't say track bar lol buuuut that was on my list. Just didn't know which way to go next. The tires were all new when i got her but they had them at 40 psi so lowered the pressure, ill look at them to. I only had to do a stabilizer in my old 08 wrangle but she was all stock and just got worn out I think. Thank you for your input, I didn't just want to start throwing parts at her with out some idea, I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Dont throw parts at it without testing them. Dry steering test on youtube will show how. ALso new tires are not always GOOD tires. I have fought issues with DW that had new tires. Swap from front to back and it went away.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
After a drive check how hot each side brake caliper. Its easy to just reach in and touch with tip of finger and you can tell pretty quick if a caliper is sticking. One side will be way hotter.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Don’t just throw parts at it because you will spend a lot of money and still have the problem.

Common causes:

Ball joints
Broken track bar bracket
Axles not centered (common on cheap lifts or lifts that do not include a new track bar or bracket or some method to recenter the axles after lifting)
Tie rod (factory is complete garbage)
Drag link (factory is complete garbage)
Bad tires (when I had my 2007 JKU BFG AT were part of the death wobble problems)

Something that costs nothing to do is lift the Jeep up, loosen but do not remove all of your suspension components. Set the Jeep back down on the ground. Retighten all the components you loosened. It is a common mistake people make when installing lifts.They tighten everything while it is still up in the air.

A steering stabilizer will mask an underlying problem. If everything is as it should be, you should be able to run without one. The purpose of the steering stabilizer is to reduce bump steer. Trying to use it to fix death wobble is compounding the problem. It can be helpful to remove the stabilizer to help identify the problem then once everything is fixed, reinstall it.

I fought death wobble for years on my 2007 abd in that time learned more than I wanted to know about it.

Never ever had death wobble on my 2014.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since the lift was on it before purchase. Double check alignment t of Drag Link and track bar? Maybe they did after market or relocation bracket?

Get under the front of the jeep and have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and worth, only a few degrees is needed. Start at the steering box and work your way down the drag link to the tie rod ends as well as track bar. Ther should be "0" wiggle in all of those bushings and joints.

Assuming all of that is tight. Lift the front axle in the air and push and pull on the tire at 12oclock then 6 oclock. If there is any movement there you need new bearings.

I promise this will help you find and issues.

P.S. I have been Jeeping for a long time, I recently rejoined JF because I hate FB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts