Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I been having problems busting transmission pans on my WJ. I have had it twice where a rock barely hits the pan, and I start to have a leak. The stock pan is just sheet metal. I tried welding the pan closed and thats a pain since its soooo thin. I decided to go with a Heavy Duty Deep Transmission pan since its 3/16" thick, and holds 3 quarts of tranny fluid more than stock. It also keeps the fluid cooler with the built in cooling fins, and it has a drain plug

Brand is PML

I realize it obviously is much lower than the factory pan, but the added benefits where worth it for me, and since the pan is really thick I am not too worried about it. I am still planning on building a skid plate for it regardless.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hey, did you get the deep or the "deeper" one on their website. Looks like they have two, and I want the one that is shallowest. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
wow those are nice...my oil and tranny pan are pretty much my only vulnerable spots i may go this route now thanks

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
:fear: I wish I hadn't seen this.......now I'm gonna have to add this to my list

·
Registered
6 Posts
is that new pan made of aluminum? if so, that would be the last pan i would pick to put on for battling rocks. if you hit it off anything its just going to explode, trust me i drive a very lowered car as my dd and the only way to go is steel. aluminum pans always break no matter how thick they are.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
is that new pan made of aluminum? if so, that would be the last pan i would pick to put on for battling rocks. if you hit it off anything its just going to explode, trust me i drive a very lowered car as my dd and the only way to go is steel. aluminum pans always break no matter how thick they are.
X2 alum just cracks or breaks when it gets hit. It won't bend much if at all.

I'd build a skid for it pronto!

Reactions: Billfer01

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tell ya what laddy, had a that a happened and ya got high centered on the Tranny pan, and it'da been onea them castalloy one's ya'd bean walkin. Thank goud it only warped it a little. Lookit mine. Stick with a stamped one, Available with or with out a drain fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Tell ya what laddy, had a that a happened and ya got high centered on the Tranny pan, and it'da been onea them castalloy one's ya'd bean walkin. Thank goud it only warped it a little. Lookit mine. Stick with a stamped one, Available with or with out a drain fitting.
someone's been playing with the wayback machine again......

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just put a PML on mine a little ways back, I got the "DEEP" not the deeper, it does sit a bit lower than the stock pan. The angle of it under the jeep is kinda poor, it's about level with the crossmember, could probably add a skid.

PML occasionally has discounts on "blemished" products that are pretty good. I got mine at a steal cause it had 2 pitting marks on the pan that in no way would affect its performance or strength IMO.

Drain plug + temp bung

Lube locker gasket (they are pricey for the 545rfe but I'm a fan of the lube lockers)

2 additional qts on this specific pan

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts