Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Just a small tip I recently learned from a tech at the Jeep dealership. When working on the airbags, ziptie or tape the battery terminals together. This ensures that the airbag capacitors are discharged completely.

Plus, he said it's a must when messing with the PCM

·
Registered
4 Posts
To buy

Antifreeze and distilled water or... coolant pre-mix (very handy) 2 gallons.
Freon, one can and an oil charge can.
Heater core.
I used 1/4 thick by 1/2" wide closed cell weatherstripping as the old stuff on the heater core was shot.

Lithium grease for the various damper hinge posts.

Tool-wise it was really basic and minimal other than a trim removal tool if you prefer one and the Freon line release tools.

The heater box screws REALLY liked to bind up going back in, so I wouldn't power tool them.

Pretty sure that was all. If I think of something else in the next day or two I'll post it.

The core I got from rockauto was made in China and had about 10% less fins than the French factory model, but fit perfectly and seemed a bit heavier and sturdier.

The hardest part was really the double nutted stud directly behind the head...that one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jeeeezzzzzz, I have to do that here in a month or so. I've been putting it off and putting it off. Now winter is around the corner. It looks like a lot of time consuming work, I do appreciate the write up though.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Jeeeezzzzzz, I have to do that here in a month or so. I've been putting it off and putting it off. Now winter is around the corner. It looks like a lot of time consuming work, I do appreciate the write up though.
You can do it. I did mine about 2 years ago. 102 temp out and humid. I didn't even what to do it at all, but I went for it. All in all, was not that bad.
When you think about the stealership price to do it alone. LOL!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
778 Posts
It's really not as bad as people think. Set aside a couple days & label everything in bags.
Another tip is to remove the steering wheel from the shaft just behind the kick plate.

Honestly the hardest parts for me were separating the two box halves, then putting the box back in the Jeep (required some extra hands to get the nuts started while I held the box in place)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Some will disagree on this, but my pop was an AC&R mechanic and I've been around that all my life. Unless you leave the evap/compressor lines disconnected several days, there is no need to evacuate the system. Residual Freon will slowly evaporate for several hours and will keep the moisture out if you keep the lines capped tightly. Add a two ounce oil charge (it comes in a small pressurized Freon can) and then add Freon back into the system to achieve proper pressure. Minimize the time you have the lines uncapped to the absolute minimum and it's about 99% certain you won't have moisture problems.
Anyone else try this?

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is absolutely no reason that a vehicle should be designed like this, utterly ridiculous. I did one of these in a Dodge Dakota several years ago and it was similar. At one time I owned a 1989 Ford F250 that I had to replace heater cores in twice. It took all of 30 minutes, just a couple of screws behind the glove box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to remove 1996 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE CENTER DASH INFORMATION DISPLAY TRIM BEZEL

How do i remove a 1996 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE CENTER DASH INFORMATION DISPLAY TRIM BEZEL, I want to get to the cigarette lighter and the Power Adapter Outlet to install a Dual USB Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter. Thank you

·
R.I.P. Knuckelhead
21,946 Posts
How do i remove a 1996 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE CENTER DASH INFORMATION DISPLAY TRIM BEZEL, I want to get to the cigarette lighter and the Power Adapter Outlet to install a Dual USB Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter. Thank you
You may get better response's in this section of the forum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/

...HTH

·
Registered
71 Posts
So, my heater does not blow as hot as it once did. It is no longer able to cook me out of the cab. And, that's in Phoenix were the winters are very mild. Also, I started smelling coolant every time I ran my heater last winter. Is it safe to say I'm going to have to do this core replacement?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.