Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my 2014 Jeep GC Summit at night, the headlights will intermittently shut off. It seems to be getting more frequent as of late. I have attempted to diagnose it by turning the switch from “auto” to the “headlights” setting. But both positions cause the problem. I have a couple of busy weeks coming up and will be unable to make it to a dealership before then. I thought I would throw this out to the group to see if any of you have any ideas or have even heard of this. BTW, I have the lifetime maxcare warranty. TIA.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
18,501 Posts
The Summit has HIDs. When the ballast or bulbs get marginal, the bulbs can lose their arc and shut off. Turning the lights off then back one kicks them into a high voltage startup that gets the arc going again. You could look for what looks like burned connections or overheated ballasts. Often a bulb change will fix it for awhile. Are they the original bulbs? I think there is a thread around here someplace. If no one jumps in here by the time I get back I'll try to look for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they are the original bulbs. Is the ballast you talk about part of the bulb assembly, or a separate part located elsewhere?

·
My Reality Check Bounced
18,501 Posts
On early models there was a ballast under both headlight assemblies, dunno about the 2014. You may find TIPM codes if you have a OBD scanner that can read body modules. Given both seem to be going out, I'd check wire harness power and grounds for a bad connections. I'm not sure if the 2014 has a circuit breaker built into the TIPM that will trip and automatically reset when it detects an over-current or short. There is a lighting description around here somewhere, I'll have to check it to refresh my memory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Did you have any more issues? My wife's 2014 GC summit is shutting the headlights off randomly while driving.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I ended up taking my wifes' GC to the dealer for this issue. I was told they couldn't find anything other than a code for a "driver issue" with one of the bulbs. I'll try some better bulbs next to see if that helps. When I bought the replacements I bought the least expensive I could. I guess that could cause an issue but it seems odd that it would be both bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts