Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'd like to introduce myself with a problem I hope someone can help me solve.

I have a 1987 Jeep XJ 4.0 MT that I am putting a new (replacement) head unit into. The previous one was stolen by what appears to be Edward Scissorhands seeing as how the adapter, or pig-tail, was cut off leaving me with bare wires. I followed the wiring diagram and connected the wires by twisting and taping (would have preferred to solder) the corresponding wiring from the new head unit to the stock wiring from my Cherokee. Everything looked great, the display lit up, I connected my phone to the bluetooth, I hit play.. and.. nothing.

So this brings me to my current predicament. I did a great deal of searching around trying to find the solution, I tried finding a different place to ground the stereo, no luck. I tried using a multimeter to make sure that my speakers had resistance (31 ohms, weird amount for speakers) and finally I just tried tearing out my wiring except for the two power wires, and my front right speaker. This is where it went from tricky, to utterly confusing. After only the power wiring and the wiring for only the Front Left speaker were connected, the head unit wouldn't even turn on. No power, no light, no sound, nothing.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check all your fuses, there should be one on the back of the head unit and then the stock one on your fuse block. What i did was competely rewire mine, using the same ground i ran a power wire from the battery to a fuse (10a) to a switch then to the radio. and then i ran 14 gauge audio wire from lowes to all of my speakers. Now i can turn my radio on and off as i want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.